Make gaskets at home

Moderator: Moderators

Rubencio
My Bike: Ktm 660 Smc

Make gaskets at home

Post by Rubencio »

Would like to buy some gasket material to make my own gaskets for the cluck cover and such.
In eBay there are plenty of sheets for just few quid.

Can't decide how thick the material has to be, any suggestion?
Cheers
Dominik
My Bike: Zxr 400 L3

Re: Make gaskets at home

Post by Dominik »

I'd rather suggest liquid gasket like black seal or so. I used this on left hand cover and Kawasaki uses it for the engine halfs. Also newer bikes have this for normal engine covers...
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
Tricky
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by Tricky »

as above, i also use liquid gasket sealer, just a light smear on one face.
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by Ewetea »

The big problem I have found with making gaskets is the holes. Ideally a hollow punch is needed to obtain a nice round hole. To make a punch, a piece of tube is required which can then be ground or filed to give a sharp edge on the diameter. But unless it is a hardened material, it will quickly blunt and just crush the material instead of cutting it. I used a modelling knife with a scalpel blade, but if the material is thick, it is very tricky to apply pressure and turn in a circle - the holes looked more like hexagons. For the effort involved it could be a lot quicker to just buy one. Someone on the forum did organize the fabrication of various gaskets which were sold to members at a reasonable price, and in fact I purchased clutch/alternator/pulse cover gaskets which were quality items.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

yes that was ross46, but he has been quiet for a while.

i have access to a waterjet (for free) so if i can get hold of his cad drawings, or if someone wants to make some and send them to me i can get them cut and posted for pretty much cost price (sheets plus postage)...ill check with the operator, but im sure it will do gaskets...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
richyrd5
My Bike: 400h

Post by richyrd5 »

Yes.id be up for genny.pulse.and clutch gaskets...
richyrd5
My Bike: 400h

Post by richyrd5 »

I have sorted Genny and pulsar ones now...but if its cheaper to get a clutch cover one from your good self I would be up for that... smiler
400y
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400H1 GSXR600

Post by 400y »

Ewetea wrote:The big problem I have found with making gaskets is the holes. Ideally a hollow punch is needed to obtain a nice round hole. To make a punch, a piece of tube is required which can then be ground or filed to give a sharp edge on the diameter. But unless it is a hardened material, it will quickly blunt and just crush the material instead of cutting it. I used a modelling knife with a scalpel blade, but if the material is thick, it is very tricky to apply pressure and turn in a circle - the holes looked more like hexagons. For the effort involved it could be a lot quicker to just buy one. Someone on the forum did organize the fabrication of various gaskets which were sold to members at a reasonable price, and in fact I purchased clutch/alternator/pulse cover gaskets which were quality items.

To cut the holes you can use a paper punch (the holes are first marked from an original gasket). Take the back off said punch that collects the bits. Slide gasket in and you can see the hole marks on the gasket. Just nibble around the marks - simples.
winks