Quick question about the cam chain

Moderator: Moderators

MR_LONG
My Bike: tomos moped

Quick question about the cam chain

Post by MR_LONG »

Just a really quickn and easy one.
I'm going to get a new cam chain fitted on my bike but was thinking about chainging the oil and filter myself.

The question is - does the engine oil need to be changed at the same time as the cam chain or can I do it seperately myself before?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

you have to split the engine to do the cam chain properly so would be pointless changing the oil b4 the camchain.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
MR_LONG
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by MR_LONG »

thanks for the quick reply. thats exactly what I needed to know. :smt001
richard_ha

Post by richard_ha »

Hi I am half way through chaing my cam chain at the moment. Does the sproket on the crank shaft come off? I keep hearring you need to split the engine to do it, but surely it must come off with a puller?
rmkd177

Post by rmkd177 »

There is no need to remove the engine or split the engine in half. That is making a 'mountain out of a mole hill'! Remove the carbs ect...take the rocker cover off...turn the engine to tdc on 1/4 cylinders with the cam sprocket marks facing outwards...remove the cam chain tensioner...remove the cam caps...remove the cams and hold the chain up with a magnetic probe...remove the ignition trigger...remove the alternator cover so the crank can be rocked too and fro to juggle the chain off...reverse the procedure and your done... a couple of hours should see it. I do about one a week on average so if your struggling im only too pleased to help. Give me a ring on 01757 248677.
Hope this helps.. Roger Middleton RMKD Racing
R.Middleton
RstredS

Post by RstredS »

yep no need to split the engine, but it helps if teh engine is out, tad easier.

engine oil has to be changed at the same time.
rmkd177

Post by rmkd177 »

I agree its easier to do the cam chain with the engine out. But snap a couple of exhaust studs? damage your oil cooler pipes? find the top rear engine mount bolt is seized in ? Do a bit of 'fiddleing and juggleing' is my recommendation. You can even cut the old chain off if you want with a small disc cutter...but cover everything up :smt002
R.Middleton
RstredS

Post by RstredS »

rmkd177 wrote: But snap a couple of exhaust studs? damage your oil cooler pipes? find the top rear engine mount bolt is seized in ?

You can even cut the old chain off if you want with a small disc cutter...but cover everything up :smt002
omg, i swear to god you must have watched me get mine out!!! :smt005