Need to remove clutch to split cases? (SOLVED)

Moderator: Moderators

Rasta-ninja
My Bike: zxr 400

Need to remove clutch to split cases? (SOLVED)

Post by Rasta-ninja »

Do you NEED to remove the clutch to split the cases? (I don't have a tool to get it out)

I checked in the manual and it says remove if necessary... I've 100% got every bolt off and taken all the side covers off so there's nothing keeping it together apart from the sealant. But I'm proper hitting it with a mallet and it's not budging confuddled I don't really want to ram a flat head between the casings either lol
Last edited by Rasta-ninja on Mon May 16, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominik
My Bike: Zxr 400 L3

Re: Need to remove clutch to split cases?

Post by Dominik »

Do you mean the clutch cover or the clutch itself???

The cover obviously needs to be removed before splitting the enginge. You could try a strong magnet if you have one or a nursling. If you remove the mechanism on the lower side you have a little hole where you can act with an lever to get it losen. Just some ideas ;)
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

No I mean the clutch (basket) itself, yeah I've taken the side cover off because it's connected to both halves but I didn't see a real need to remove the clutch unless there was some hidden screws behind it...

I thought I had a brilliant idea by screwing in a bolt halfway to give me something to whack to split the cases.... Until I realized all that was happening was the bolt was bending haha

There's actually 3 little sticking out edges/flange type things around the top half of the casings so maybe i'll have to hit these until it splits, like i say I've definitely got every single bolt and cover off so this sealant is strong stuff!

But maybe if the clutch basket comes out, I can "reverse scissor" split the cases from the inside with 2 pieces of wood.... if that makes sense? :lol:
Rasta-ninja

Post by Rasta-ninja »

SOLVED!!!!!

I was messing around with this idea of using a piece of wood as a lever between the engine number flange on the bottom casing, and the 2 flanges sticking out on the upper casing. Grabbed an old broom handle and before I even started I was 99% sure it wouldn't work because the handle itself had a crack in it and there wasn't much metal sticking out to work with :lol: but i gave it a go and it actually worked!!

Id add some pictures but not quite sure how to confuddled
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: Need to remove clutch to split cases? (SOLVED)

Post by Miles »

Good job! Glad you got to the bottom of it
Rasta-ninja

Re: Need to remove clutch to split cases? (SOLVED)

Post by Rasta-ninja »

pics :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.