Having Some Problems Re-Installing cam chain.

Moderator: Moderators

superfly108

Having Some Problems Re-Installing cam chain.

Post by superfly108 »

This is really getting me down basicly im on low budget at the moment and cant afford to take this to a garage,

the other day i took out my cam chain tesioner, didnt mean to as didnt no what it was until i took it out, basicly i got it back in, and it started making this horrible sounds once it got over 2,000-2,500 revs, it idles fine, now im not sure what it is, my guess something to do with the cam chain, ive been told the chain could of jumped a tooth, but wouldnt it do this sound from idle? it doesnt go away, and does it moving or not moving, its def coming from cam shaft area, not sure where abouts, i really need some advice, does anyone have any advice on how to fit the tensioner back in properly, i thought today id fitted it back properly, how do i check to see if the tensioner is broken, ive noticed one side (the side of the chain where the tensioner fits in) is not slack, but the other side is kinda slack, as it moves side to side and up and down, im so clueless any ideas how i can find out whats wrong will be helped, my bike is my life and i cant afford a garage to see and im not to experenced in mechanics
cheers for any replies
pcourt
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by pcourt »

Had mine done by a garage but think there was a post not so long ago that may be useful.......

Try searching for 'rattle rattle rattle' by psychopaulgtr

good luck!
superfly108

Post by superfly108 »

im hoping this is it as by sounds of it i wasnt fitting the chain adjuster correctly i didnt undo the big bolt in the middle, and take the springs out, ill do that tommrow if not luck im guessing its the shims, it litterly has happend suddenly, like right after running it once ive fiddled with the adjuster
pcourt

Post by pcourt »

Hope so mate, it does sound exactly like the symptoms mine had when the tensioner was broken.

Good luck & fingers crossed!
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

it realy dose sownd like your tensioner has given up the gost, it dose male that ratley sownd when held between 2,000 & 3.500 rpm yes?
rev-it! :)
superfly108

Post by superfly108 »

well it kinda does it from 2,000-2500 revs upwards i aint reved it to high to find out when it stops, might just be the tensioner aint fitted right, if i try do it properly like it said in that other thread, as i never removed that middle bolt when i refitted it the 3 times ive done it, maybe it'll cure it, as the engine is ment to be a 1999 model with 5,000 miles on it, fitted into a 1993 frame, so cant imagine the tensioner should be shot, du no where i can get them and how much?
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

make sure u have the tensioner fitted flush to the crankcase. i changed my chain and head gasket etc at the same time and u have to get the tensioner in right cos i did it wrong but noticed it in time. make sure its all the way up and the tension is released so it takes up the slack
Quicker Than Yngwie

superfly108

Post by superfly108 »

still having no luck, fitting as per that other thread and still made the noise, im sure its related becus everytime i fiddle i swear the noise changes ever so slightly, i rang folwers and they wanted £50 for a new one, and said they cant refund me if it doesnt fix the problem, at the moment £50 is to much for me to waste seeing if this solves it, when it might not, bah i had the cam cover off today just to see, never taken it off before managed to loose one of the washers so had to order that, once its all back together, ill check for the problem again, can someone gimmie a guide on how to check if the adjuster is working correctly, from what i remember, when i press it in, (the middle section) it sqirts oil and sometimes locks so i cant push it in further unless i press the tap bit, also noticed the other side of the cam chain (section the tensioner isnt fitted on) is really loose as in side to side movemenet im thinking could be this maybe? im not sure, ill have another bash at anything tommrow if anyones got any advice
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

before u set the tensioner u need to take the slack up on the other side by CAREFULLY turning the crank untill the chain is taught. then set the cam adjuster to take up the slack
Quicker Than Yngwie

superfly108

Post by superfly108 »

FIXED IT I FUCKING FIXED IT :smt005

it was the tensioner i dunno what i did i took it apart i thought well im guessing it shudnt be able 2 be pushed back, down i fiddled a bit, and it stopped when, hard to explain,

when the cover was off and the bike was running the tensioner was going in and then out, i didnt think should do this, i put it back and tried agen and im guessing as covers on i cant see, its not doing this, im gonna probably get a new one to be on the safe side, it shouldnt be able to like be pushed back down shud it, as b4 i cud use soiome plyers so push the tensioner in once it was in the bike, the rachet should not allow it if im right! im fucking thrilled me worrying about valves broken brushes fucking cam chain :D woo im off to get my tax !!! and ill be sorting a few things out for mot and ill be back on the road :D AHH!!!! CHEERS EVERYONE YOU SAVED MY LIFE!