Rattle at 5500rpm

Moderator: Moderators

D0n H
My Bike: 1992 Kawasaki ZXR400

Rattle at 5500rpm

Post by D0n H »

Hi Guys

Just a quick one i seem to be getting a rattle at about 5500rpm it will only come and go thew the stage of accelerating im not sure what to look for maybe could just be something loose? let me mention that i have just bought the bike. also just some advise i also seem to hear the whining of my gearbox during acceleration is this normal for the ZXR400?

thank so much
nettns
My Bike: ZXR400 L2

Re: Rattle at 5500rpm

Post by nettns »

Hey Don,

The board doesn't seem super active these days, but I'm a noob with a 1992 just like you. I had a similar problem, a rattle at a specific RPM (I think it was 4500RPM for me). I found that the timing chain tensioner was not extending properly and so there was a rattle in the timing chain at that certain harmonic frequency.

I was able to remove the timing chain tensioner, pull out the tensioner piston one click, and reinstall it. That quick fix eliminated the noise.

I will need to replace the spring in my tensioner moving forward because it does not seem to have the spring power to properly tension the chain. My new problem is that the timing chain guide blade is rubbing on the housing (making it impossible for the tensioner to apply any more pressure to the timing chain). I plan to do a full timing chain replacement soon to fix these issues.
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Re: Rattle at 5500rpm

Post by bendog66 »

Hi,

Just a quick check with you nettns - you did reset the tensioner by completely compressing it, putting a paper clip or thin metal wire into the hole where the single bolt is to prevent it springing back up before releasing and replacing the tensioner fully before removing the piece of wire and putting the bolt back in?

I did a really crap job of explaining it but if you know what I mean you've probably done it correctly... If not you may still have done it correctly and I've done a poor job of asking oldman