Sludge in engine

Moderator: Moderators

Dutch_ZXR
My Bike: ZXR400 1991 / DRZ400 2005

Sludge in engine

Post by Dutch_ZXR »

Hi,

I recently (two weeks ago) bought myself a ZXR400 and it rode perfectly for about 600km.

Since today I'm dealing with 2 issues:

First issue: the two remaining panel bulbs have blown (speedometer bulb had already died when I bought her) and the rear light doesn't work anymore, only when you are braking. Found out because of police pulling me over while on my way to work. But that's something for later. The second issue is what troubles me most.

Second issue: Well, I guess this picture says enough.

I had already bought new clutch plates and semi-synth oil which I was going to place coming saturday, but that seems like a waste of oil if it will turn into sludge again. Could someone tell me the common causes for this issue and perhaps give me a link as where to buy the failing parts? I could not find any engine-related parts over here in The Netherlands.

Your help will be appreciated! :smt001

Also, can I still ride to work (1 hour total back- and forth) with this sludge? The temp meter barely goes above the blue bottom with this weather.
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: Sludge in engine

Post by Miles »

The steam on the oil level glass is normal. If your that concerned about it, take the filler cap off and run the engine till it evaporates.

Unless by sludge you mean your oil has a creamy look to it then your head gasket is gone. I doubt it though as you say the temperature gauge barely moves.

A compression test will tell you for certain.

For parts, use cradleys, or any other kwakaski dealer
Dutch_ZXR
My Bike: ZXR400 1991 / DRZ400 2005

Post by Dutch_ZXR »

Miles wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:58 am
The steam on the oil level glass is normal. If your that concerned about it, take the filler cap off and run the engine till it evaporates.

Unless by sludge you mean your oil has a creamy look to it then your head gasket is gone. I doubt it though as you say the temperature gauge barely moves.

A compression test will tell you for certain.

For parts, use cradleys, or any other kwakaski dealer
Ah, it's normal? I've never noticed it on my EX500. I guess I'm good to replace the clutch plates then coming saturday. :smt001

If it's steam the oil should still be black when I take it out, or no?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

you always get a bit of condensation on the sight glass, and yours looks no different to that, as for your oil, if its still fairly new it might still have a red or orange tint to it, if its used it will be black, if its well used it will be really stinky and black, there should be no creamy colour or bits of white floating in it. change your oil filter at teh same time as changing the oil this first time round, oil changes should be 2-3k miles without fail, filters can go for 10k
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
rccaulfield
My Bike: zxr 400l sp

Post by rccaulfield »

Theres a huge company in the netherlands cms. They have every zxr 400 part thats available- www.cmsnl.com. U probably have no issues other then new bulbs all round. Those dash bulbs cant be gotten anywhere except from a kawasaki dealer in my experience! So cms will have them. Worth buying a compression tester and testing compression to be sure theyre cheap on ebay! Just make sure it has lots of different threads on it for cars and motorbikes.
watsonm359
My Bike: ZXR400H2

Post by watsonm359 »

I know of riders that tape up/over sections of the main radiator to minimise the cooling effect during extreme cold weather riding. This allows the engine to warm up better and could be a cause of the condensation in the inspection window as the engine never gets up to the correct temperature. Don't forget about the tape at a later date when the weather improves as it could back fire!
I use CMS for the parts that are no longer supplied from a main dealer, whereas anything that is available from your local dealer I get direct from them. If that makes sense!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

watsonm359 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:52 pm
This allows the engine to warm up better and could be a cause of the condensation in the inspection window as the engine never gets up to the correct temperature.
this bits wrong, taping your radiator means that it doesnt cool the coolant as quickly, and keeps your engine running hotter than usual...this would actually drive off more condensation...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
watsonm359
My Bike: ZXR400H2

Post by watsonm359 »

With the temperature that cold in the Netherlands it may be preventing the engine from getting up to temperature as he mentions. Taping up parts of the radiator would lessen the cooling effect and should allow the engine to warm up better in the extreme temperature.

Not the best practice I agree, but it could be something else completely.

I do recall my old man doing this years ago on his ZX10 when he rode during the winter and it worked then!