some questions about engine

Moderator: Moderators

renault

some questions about engine

Post by renault »

Hy!

I am renovating my zxr-400, and i need to know how strong must i turn the head bolts? They sad to me at the service, i should first do 1,5kg and after a while 2.5kg. Is it clever to run the bike in the middle? Some say that i should, that matirials must lay down... And the others i should not, but i dont know why? If i wanted to run the bike, i must put it all together and this takes a lot of work... Than agein all apart and turn the bolts on 2.5, and put it al together agein.

What should i do? I turned the bolts now on 2.0kg and put the bike together. Is it cool 2.0kg, what can happen if i dont do it 2.5kg? Now the engine is running, but on very high RPM... Is it posible, that it runs higher becouse the had is lower for 0.1mm (if i didnt simply mess up something with the carbs...) ? I was forced to lower it, becous it was not straight. Must i do some settings with the valvs and the valvs springs becouse of it?

That should be all witch bothers me... Understand that it is my first 4-stroke projeckt, and i do it all alone! And sorry for the English, im from Slovenia...

By
zxr-400 :)
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

check out the manuals on the main site it will tell you what torque the head bolts should be tightened to.

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/manual.html
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
renault

Post by renault »

Thank you a lot, but i allready checkt it out. There it is written, that the bolts should be thighten on 2.5kg.

But i would like to hear it from someone, who has allready done this, and know well how to do it. I would like to see what people think about my problems... I must know, that the engine will not go to hell, becouse i turn the bolts only on 2.0kg?

Thanks...

By
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

i have to say check your throttle cable, i recently stripped the carbs and when i put them back on the bike was running high revs, i found the cable was not adjusted properly, check first!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
renault

Post by renault »

Thanks, first thing in the morning :smt001 ...

By
renault

Post by renault »

Bad news... The wireing is all OK!!

They say that the engine is running high becouse the valvs arnt setup. But i dont understant it... Why must i set them up? I only lowered the head for 0.1mm... And if I must, how can i do it? There is no bolts, with witch i could set the valvs up... Must I change those litle magnets on the top of the valve springs? It sounds stupid to buy new ones, only for 0,1mm lower...

Thanks & By, Jaka
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

ahhhh, 0.1 mm. thats a fay move if you are talking head tolerances. i just nailed mine to 2.5 in order. been fine ever since. ;)
Quicker Than Yngwie