engine tick and getting hot

Moderator: Moderators

shakey
My Bike: tomos moped

engine tick and getting hot

Post by shakey »

whilst out last night the engine devoled a nasty tick and overheated. I have not go the fogiest what goings on she starts fine and at idle the tick is intermitent then at revs its constant. There is no smoke and no leaks and it sounds like its coming form the top end?help please!
Rob-ZX4R

Post by Rob-ZX4R »

May be a worn camchain/camchain tensioner or the tappets.

I'm no expert though.

:smt001
shakey

Post by shakey »

god knows I've had the rocker cover off and had a look around and it's lubricated ok but to the untrained eye who knows... i've only had it a week :smt013
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

the joys of buying a new vehicle. sounds like the tappets need shimming, but don't all bikes make noises?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
wonderpupp
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZX6R P7F

Post by wonderpupp »

Yep, all bikes make noises.

I took lots of bits off my ZXR, like the heavy bit of chain guard cover when you change the front sprocket, saved weight you see. Made lots of strange noises. For a long time.

The only noises you should really worry about is one when you have smoke/oil/water pouring out from somewhere at the same time.

You should hear my er5 ticking over. All sorts going on there.
kwackkev22

Post by kwackkev22 »

looks like where in the same boat mate my bike started a nice tapping noise the other day its coming from the top end and is still there when your riding along mine,s more of a knock tho than a tick ive been told that it sounds like one of the cams is worn its only done 10700 miles.did you have to drop the engine out to take the cam cove off :smt017.its the worst thing ever having one of those noieses just drives you mad. to me it just sounds like the pound coins racking up how much this time :smt013 juts put a full micron on it a few mothns back 400 quid new tryes at the start of spring 150 quid brake pads brake light switch kawasaki nut n bolts mind you its all worth it when the tanks full on a sunday morning :smt007
previous bikes
piaggio nrg 50
cagiva mito 125
current bike zxr400l9
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

My first ZXR used to have an intermitent tapping sound, but every time i took it to my local bike shop it stopped doing it :rolls: He had a listen anyway and he said it sounded fine.
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Xphyral »

and also never forget it's a kawarattley, kwak engines are always noisy monkeys, but their so much fun.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

are u sure u havent run over a baby and got its rattle stuck in there rofl :smt005
Quicker Than Yngwie

shakey

Post by shakey »

Thanks for the advice I had a chat to me local bike garage and he sdaid he'd come and have a listen the ratlling / tap is quite loud though so don't want to risk riding it till loads of water and smoke come out! I'll let you know how I get on when he's had a look at it. :smt013