Headgasket??

Moderator: Moderators

zxrdave

Headgasket??

Post by zxrdave »

Hi all, my bike got really hot at the w/end and pissed coolant out of the breather at the w/end, on to the back tyre un' all.
It had lost most of the coolant out of the radiator so the fan wasnt coming on which made things worse, and if left for a bit it would only run on 3 cylinders but only for 30 seconds or so then it seems to run fine, which makes me think its got to be the headgasket hasnt it?
Can the headgasket be changed without removing the engine completly? I think it can, does anyone know any different. Can anyone help?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

it can yes i've heard of plenty doin it with it in situ but its a lot easier to remove the engine, personally i would take the engine out.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Sounds liek the head gasket alright, when mine went, if you started up after sitting all day it would only fire up on a few cylinders. I assume thats the coolant or oil seeping through the blow and fouling the plug.
RstredS

Post by RstredS »

nah tahts most probably head gasket, mine was the same. Could try red cap first, and check thermostat, but sounds like heag gasket.

take the engine out, is a piece of piss.
Rob-ZX4R
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Rob-ZX4R »

masterofinsanity wrote:it can yes i've heard of plenty doin it with it in situ but its a lot easier to remove the engine, personally i would take the engine out.
I managed to do my head gasket with the engine in piece of piss. But then I'm lazy and just coudn't be arsed to get the engine out.
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

yeah, when pidcocks changed my cam followers/camshaft, they said they could either drop the engine out or take the head off to do it. with hindsight I think it would have been better if i'd got them to take the head off.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
RstredS

Post by RstredS »

engien out is piss. 4 bolts, wow!
mike-h
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by mike-h »

How did it start? My engine is running a little hot and I am thinking that I am on the same course to blow the head gasket?