oil leak DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP (with my bike)

Moderator: Moderators

lee lee

oil leak DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP (with my bike)

Post by lee lee »

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH MY SILLY LITTLE,PAIN IN THE butt OIL LEAK?
WHEN THE MOTOR GETS WARM A LITTLE OIL LEAK OCCURS JUST UNDERNEATH THE EXHAUST PORTS. THE OIL SEEMS TO WEEPING FROM A 2 OF THE 4 HOLES JUST UNDERNEATH WHERE THE DOWNPIPES COME OUT. I AM PUZZLED TO WHAT THESE HOLES ARE FOR. AT FIRST I THOUGHT I WAS IN NEED OF A NEW HEAD GASKET BUT AFTER CLOSER INSPECTION FOUND THE OIL TO BE COMING FROM THEM HOLES.
I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY BITS OF INFO ANYBODY HAS.PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE HELP. THAKS. LEE :?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Hiya lee, heres a picture of a ZXR engine, where exactly is the oil coming from?

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

don't make the pic too big will you robB :D
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

:lol: , ooops, i forgot :roll:

Least he'll be able to see it properly! :D
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by sloweracing »

The holes are for the spark plugs if you get water or fluid in the spark plug holes then there is a hole at the bottom for each plug and comes out under the exhaust hence the little holes

Now has this engine been tuned if so then they have cracked the liner of the exhaust port ( you should be able to tell it will sound like the exhaust is leaking )

Or the the top gasket has gone and is leaking take the top of the engine off 4 bolts then you should be able to see where it is leaking from there will be traces of oil on the seal

Hope this helps
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

AHA! thats answered my question. I actually had the same. The seals on the rocker cover have gone round the spark plug holes at the top and were letting oil out. When i took me engine out the frame and checked plugs oil was round the plugs and oil on the front of the engine just underneath the outlets for the exhaust.

So Lee, Check ya spark plugs and check if theres oil round the ones that are letting the oil out. If there is it looks like you just need the little 'o'ring seals that go underneath the rocker cover.

Part number: 11009A abd possibly 92005A

Post by Guest »

cheers guys. il let you know if its that tommoz.
LEE LEE
My Bike: zxr400

Post by LEE LEE »

YOU GUYS WERE SPOT ON. ITS THE TOP SEALS (11009A ).
NICE ONE FELLA'S :P
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by sloweracing »

Glad we helped please come again

http://www.hodsonengineering.co.uk
TuRtLe_Alpha

Post by TuRtLe_Alpha »

I also have same problem of that ,what can i do ??
in my cause , underneath the outlets for the exhaust leaking some engine oil.....is that need to replace ? and my bike running about 45KM ,left hand side have some nosie come out when i throttling
is need to fitting valve clearance?
chrisu

Post by chrisu »

i have a small oil leak, that has appeared recently. i will check the o-rings asap. i hope it is them. i did notice one was a bit oily before.
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by sloweracing »

TuRtLe_Alpha.... you will need to replace gaskets to stop oil leak as for the noise it could be valve clearences better off checking them to see what the gaps are like

chrisu..
The orings you can put a bit of silicone on them to stop them leaking that works okay and just clean the top gasket off with some tissue then seal back down dont over tighten the four top bolts use a torque wrench to get them all the same so you have even pressure

Good luck

If all else fails use a good bike garage to check it out
chrisu

Post by chrisu »

thanks. ive got a tube of silicone sealant in the garage so ill give that a try. always do use a torque wrence on important bolts. i learnet the hard way by snapping a bolt in the poewrvalve in my tzr by over tigtening.