very loud noise

Moderator: Moderators

chrisu
My Bike: tomos moped

very loud noise

Post by chrisu »

ive just changed my head gasket because the old one was poo. anyway, i got the bike together and pressed the button hoping it all to be great. but, when it started it was soooo loud. i let i run for a second before turning it off. now its very hard to start, and when it does its loud, very loud. its difficult to describe the sound because i didnt listen for too long. does anyone have any idea what it could be? im lost and i really want the bike running nice. thanks :smt001
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

did you put the exhaust back on :smt003
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
chrisu

Post by chrisu »

yup. it was real tricky getting the exhasut back on because its stainless steel, and in different bits it kept falling around.
its really got me puzzled this one.
the main thing i was worried about was that the timing could be out, but i dont know if that would make it this loud. it sounds like an old tractor.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

have you checked the exhaust isn't leaking anywhere cos that usually makes it sound like a tractor.?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
chrisu

Post by chrisu »

checked this morning, and it sounds like its coming out of the camchain side of the engine, so i guessed the camchain was loose. i took the cover off too look at it and felt the chain was a bit loose. i whipped the tensioner ot, and it was stuck down. so i think thats knackered. good job ive got a spare engine. now ive got that tensioner out and it seems fine. now ive just got to get the pushrod to stay down while i fit it. think ill look at the manual.
Bikerz

Post by Bikerz »

u can do the cam chain your self? how hard is it?
Assumption is the mother of all f*ck up’s
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZsnow ... ifeQQhtZ-1
chrisu

Post by chrisu »

i dont know how hard it is to fit a new one, but taking the head off with the cams out and such wasnt that hard. just a bit tricky and time consuming. but im having a problem with the tensioner, because i cant get the rod to stay down using a bt of wire like the manual says.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

put it in a vice :smt003
NickT22

Very loud noise

Post by NickT22 »

Before you put the cam chain tensioner back in, work it up and down first to drain any oil it has collected, this will reduce hydraulic pressure from inside the tensioner, don't forget to release the spring loaded ratchet on the side (if like my L2 it has one) or it will break when forced in a vice. Do you know anyone who plays electric guitar? I find solid guitar wire to be the best for holding the tensioner spring down without the risk of the wire breaking inside it, its a bit of a fiddle 'cos the hole in the spring assy is so small and a vice is a great idea as it is a three handed job!

Good luck,

NickT22
:twisted:
chrisu

Post by chrisu »

i play electric guitar. let me rephrase that, i own an electric guitar. well, back to the subject its sorted now. i used a cabletie in the bumpy side of the pushrod, and pulled it out when installed. and back to the noise. i took the bike apart again, and looked inside the top part of the engine, and the part on the right had broke and was doing a boogie with the chain (i know this doenst make much sense but im hungry) so i got one off my spare engine fitted it put the cams in, cover on. all other gubbins on and pooing my pants. pressed the button and she sounded bootiful.
so thanks for the suggestions guys. i hope to help you all one day.

so now to don the leathers and take her for a test spin. oh yeah baby!!