Starting when cold

Moderator: Moderators

BR4DLS
My Bike: tomos moped

Starting when cold

Post by BR4DLS »

Hi im new to the site and I think this site is a great resource of info for the zxr.
My problem it ive had my zxr afew weeks and now when I start it and ride about 800m white/blue/black ish smoke starts comming out the exhaust but the strange this is after the bike is warm it dosent smoke at all, can anyone help??, also how do I adjust the A/F ratio cause the ZXR is using heaps of fuel, I get approx 150km to 15L of petrol and this is just crusing. Thanks for your help
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

usually if it smokes a little on start up i think it means your valve seals have had it, so any oil seeps into the barrels and gets burnt when you fire it up.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
BR4DLS

Post by BR4DLS »

The really strange thing is it will start and not smoke at all its only after riding it abit it smokes then it stops smoking again
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Yeah i have the same problem on my XJR400, it barely smokes when i start it and let it warm up, but soon as you put the engine under load its smokes like a bitch!

But yes it is the valve guide seals that cause this problem, how many miles has the bike done? its either done a fair few or its been thrashed from cold all its life.
BR4DLS

Post by BR4DLS »

Its only done 14000 miles, but I think someone has tampered with the speedo cause its 15 years old and it has abit of wear on it. Is it a major to fix?, this is the first motor bike I have owned but ive replaced motors in cars before so im hoping to do most of the work myself
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

If youve got experience and the tools then it shouldnt be too hard, youll be needing a manual tho for the torque settings which available on this site. As far as i know its a case of taking the head off, removing the valves and then putting in new seals.