Revving Problem and cam chain

Moderator: Moderators

Leanne_

Revving Problem and cam chain

Post by Leanne_ »

hiya everyone,

i was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem ive got on my zxr4 L1, basically the bike with rev upto about 10k then kinda of sticks here for a while and then will rev out after a few seconds, instead of going smoothly up through the revs untill the red line, the carbs have been balenced by rob b (thats again for this!) he also lent me a cdi unit to check it was that, im all out of ideas what it can be, oh and theres a derestrictor box on the speedo and the bike isnt restricted on the carbs,

also does anyone know how much is will be to get my cam chain done and any recommended places to take my bike, i live in gloucestershire but i will travel a bit to make sure i get it done properly,

thanks

Leanne
kb-zxr

Post by kb-zxr »

Has the bike got a race can fitted?

If so maybe thats causing a flatspot. Maybe even a sticky throttle :smt017
Leanne_

Post by Leanne_ »

it has got a micron full system with a road legal can, i dont think its the throttle cable, how would i go about getting rid of a flat spot if that is the problem?

thanks

Leanne
Bikerz
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Bikerz »

leanne, il give u a bell about cam chain and place to go, done the research already for this. and when we went out and we left each other u asked if i can rev up to 14k , when we went down dual carriage way, i tested it, all the way up to 14k in 1st 3 gears so yes ur does seem to have a problem im afraid.

il talk to u on msn and tell u about place to take it too, someone else took theres there too, polygon in glos at spar lights, il take u there if u want, talk to u some time
Assumption is the mother of all f*ck up’s
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZsnow ... ifeQQhtZ-1

Post by Guest »

excellent thanks! i think my cam chain is about 9k miles over due opps mileage on my bike kind of krept up on me,

im hoping my problem on the bike is an inexpensive one :) soon im going to check the plugs and ht leads but last time i checked about 2 months ago they were fine and i still had the problem before this and afterwards now im not quite sure what to do next!

Leanne
Harvey Wishbone

Post by Harvey Wishbone »

Just out of curiosity, dis-connect your speedo cable and try it like that. It might be that your de-restrictor box is faulty.
ZX6R G2 roadbike, Suzuki GSXR 600 trackbike

Post by Guest »

thanks, that sounds like a good idea, hadnt thought of that!

Leanne
Harvey Wishbone

Ah, there you see! The power of forums! Many minds one interest!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

polygon engineering in gloucestershire??? mmmmmmmm never heard of them :smt003
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Bikerz

Post by Bikerz »

yeah cheers master, i ow u for that tip (pint in the post :smt002 )

they will check cam chain, balence carbs, and check valves for 100 quid, but shims are 5 quid each if they need doing and cam chain will be about 80 quid if it needs doing. im going there b4 summer to get that all done on my bike, all the other dealers in gloucestershire i got quotes for wanted at least 200-300 labour, sooo polygon well cheap and my uncle uses them and loves them and as u can see master does too.

il ride u there if u want :smt002 excuse the pun :smt003

Post by Guest »

excellent thankyou everyone, thats somewhere sorted to get my cam chain done and it sounds cheap! which is good as im poor at the moment :smt003 if you could take me there Bikerz that would be great also :smt001

im just about to disconnect the speedo and see if that solves me problem fingers crossed i will let you know how i get on,

thanks again everyone

Leanne
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Just one thing, the derestrictor isnt connected to the speedo so wouldnt make an ounce of difference if you unplugged the cable, only the fact that you wont know how fast your going!

The derestricter plugs into the loom in place of the speedo so the CDI wont have a clue what the speedo is reading. Not sure if this is true but im sure i read if the speedo is disconnected your bike will only do 50kmh.

But sounds like it could just be a major flat spot in the fueling, you need to get it on a dyno so it can be set up properly for the exhaust.
Bikerz

Post by Bikerz »

thast bull rob leanne and i can confirm with no speedo bike will still do at least 80mph my cable fell out when we went for a ride.lol

leanne, u can borrow my mph converter if u like? im free tomorow(wednesday), wana meet up? il show u where this plce is, test ur speedo etc...?
Harvey Wishbone

If you plug the wire back into the speedo from the derestrictor box, then disconnect the cable the speedo will not see any speed so will not cut the revs in the top two gears. That way you'll know if it's working or not.
Bikerz

Post by Bikerz »

iv just had a brain wave(yes it doesnt happen often)

does the restriction only happen in 5th and 6th? leanne cant even get it to rev past 10k in 1st or 2nd or 3rd or 4th so surley it must be somthing else ? dirty carbs?