clutch

Moderator: Moderators

sprocket
My Bike: zxr400l

clutch

Post by sprocket »

just bought a zxr400l from another forum member and need a little bit of input.
the clutch rattles like a bag of nuts in a biscuit tin, when the lever is pulled it all goes away. I know this is common but it is real bad.
i have stripped the plates out and although there is some blueing on the slipper plates everything measures up to be within the working tolerances.
however if you get hold of the clutch basket you can rock it ( if it was a wheel the bearings are well shot )
is this normal for these, if has a slipper clutch in and that is why i ask ( never had one before).
i have tried unsuccesfully to remove the centre nut ( snapped a 18" socket bar ) will have it off tomorrow with a impact air gun from work
any input would be off assistance i nelieve the centre bearing that the whole clutch assembly sits on is shot and is there an up rated one available perhaps from another model
stevezx7r
My Bike: 1992 (ish) ZXR 400.

Re: clutch

Post by stevezx7r »

The centre nut can be on v.tight on any clutch, a windy gun is a good option. It does sound like it's bearings are shot. Check for grooves on the clutch basket too - that tends to be the cause of the clutch rattle on these bike iirc.

Steve.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Given this topic is 18 months old I'm sure he figured it out.
stevezx7r
My Bike: 1992 (ish) ZXR 400.

Post by stevezx7r »

Yeah, probably, just been going through posts that had no answer is all.