why oh why...

Moderator: Moderators

cdstirland81
My Bike: ZXR400H1 and proud!

why oh why...

Post by cdstirland81 »

my clutch has been heavy and grabby since getting her back in motion, and after it slipping a bit at random, and being very grabby and some heath robinson measures to get the cable to adjust properly (massive amounts of slack to be take up!) i got bored today, and took the clutch cover off to check everything, i discovered some thing quite shocking!

i had the right amount of steels all flat enough no bluing, the spring lengths were within tolerance, and the frictions were all thick and flat enough, all well above service limit, but i had 1 too many!

the stack had been inserted correctly, but instead of the last steel plate and then the last friction plate in the "offset/alternate" position, i had another friction plate on the stack, then another friction plate in the offset position with no steel inbetween, i.e. according to the microfiche/exploded diagram on here, but another friction added on, so opposed to six frictions and five steels as per the kawasaki diagram, i had seven frictions and five steels!

why oh why would anyone do this? GRRRRR!

i've assembled the stack correctly now, and put it back together, and the clutch lever feels mint now! i'll test it tomorrow, but does anyone know why this would be done?
ameteurs practice and train unitl they can do it, professionals practice and train until they cannot fail at it..
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: why oh why...

Post by masterofinsanity »

probably didn't have the manual to refer to or had a spare plate put in to stop it slipping? who knows eh?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
cdstirland81
My Bike: ZXR400H1 and proud!

Post by cdstirland81 »

yep, extra plate put in to stop it slipping, the bodging, cheapskate, pikey, ameteur, numpty of a muppet! whoever it may be!

was all a bit surreal, put back together, bike on paddock stand, let clutch out in first, go up to 4th, just to get some oil round everything, look down, rear wheel stationary! back to first, stand on rear brake, idle speed didn't budge! bullocks! :ffs

so thats a clutch friction plate kit and springs ordered! at least it wasn't a fortune, went for a ferodo kit and uprated springs for under £50!

previous owners/dealers of G*** EJB, hang your heads in shame! :wanker

edit: fair one, bendog, i was half hoping an old owner would magically come forward, so i could rip his fingernails off!
Last edited by cdstirland81 on Wed May 05, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ameteurs practice and train unitl they can do it, professionals practice and train until they cannot fail at it..
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

i wouldn't post your numberplate on a public forum............