bog down

Moderator: Moderators

razzcolio
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L1/VT750C2B/VT600

bog down

Post by razzcolio »

i think this is a clutch thing but i dunno which is why im asking...

when i set off from the lights the bike bogs down instead of sets off...then it hits what i asume would be a power band and vroom im off...
is this me riding like a dick or is there an issue with the bike?
to stop it from doing it i rev up to about 8k and let the clutch out slowly...
isnt 8k a lil high for setting off?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: bog down

Post by RedexRobB »

Could be a fuelling issue but i had this exact problem before and thought my starting off technique was to blame, but it cleared up after i did the valve clearances so put it down to needing a service.
razzcolio
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by razzcolio »

ok will book for a service ;) cheers bud
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Don't expect them to do your valve clearances if you book the bike in 'for a service'. Nor will they balance the carbs, which is another possible cause of the problem you have. All they will do is change oil and filters, adjust cables and chain, spread a bit of grease around and change you well over 100 notes for the bother. Save your money and do it yourself.

If you suspect you need the clearances doing, or the carbs balancing, you need to book it in to have those specific jobs done by a mechanic. Some garages won't even want the work. Expect to pay for at least 4 hours labour plus parts. You won't get it back same day if the clearances need adjusting as they will need to order shims. Next day at the earliest. If you get it back same day and they ttell you they've been adjusted suspect a rip-off.

I would say you're a lot better doing it yourself but we established a week or so ago that your toolkit wasn't extensive :smt005 So you're going to have to find yourself a decent mechanic and pay for the work. Beware of dealerships :smt002 An independent mechanic with a good word of mouth reputation in your area is a better bet. You will save yourself some money on labour, and the risk of damage to your plastics and of them losing fasteners, by taking the bodywork off yourself and leaving it at home.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
razzcolio
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by razzcolio »

my tool kits getting better...i bought a paddock stand...
but then i bottled it and went and payed £90 for metropolis motorcycles to change my chain an sprockets lol!!

yes im a 2hat we kno...

i wouldn't know where to start on most of what you just said (which is quite shameful considering i studied all of that at collage and got distinctions in all my exams :S )... and this new garage i found are charging £120 for a full service... might get them to look at the clearances and balancing while she in being repaired....
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Ill rephrase that and say top end service, also balanced the carbs while i was at it.