Do I need new springs?

Moderator: Moderators

Cimanu
My Bike: Honda RVF400

Do I need new springs?

Post by Cimanu »

Okay, after changing from stock exhaust to stainless downpipes and pipewerx sl without a baffle, my clutch just lets go at about 12k. Is this it overpowering the springs? It has recently had an oil change with semi-syn 10w/40 putoline. However this problem occured before said change. The clutch is completly fine in all aspects of riding just not above 12. I can full throttle in top through the midrange with no slip.
I feel it is springs but would like the opinion of those who know :D Also what springs would you recommend?

Cheers.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Do I need new springs?

Post by cargo »

I really must try and not fall over laughing when I read a post like the one above.
Yes of course your new exhaust is the problem that huge increase in power has been too much for your poor old clutch.
The only way to know what is wrong with you clutch is to examine it and check that it is within spec and that the clutch cable is correctly adjusted.

Yet another stupid question
mxj560
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L2

Post by mxj560 »

Heya mate

Clutch slip seems to be a common problem with ZXR's (never had an issue with mine). First thing is to check the clutch thoroughly to make sure everything is in good nick.

In all honesty, a new set of pipes and can is not going to add so much to end power to cause clutch slip, I cannot believe it will be this.

Cargo - I know you have been here for ages, and have probably seen similar questions lots, but this is meant to be a friendly forum where people can ask others with more experience for advice. Whilst you may think it is a silly question, the original poster doesn't , otherwise he wouldn't have asked. There is no need to be so rude about it. New posts and new members are what keep forums such as this alive and it will very quickly get a reputation for not being helpful and being a waste of time if posts like yours are the norm. I don't want to cause a fight or anything like that at all, but i know i have found this forum so useful on many occasions and don't want this to change. If you are going to be rude, don't post a reply.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I stand over what I said it is a stupid question. Having said that our friend got an answer that will more than meet his needs. The clutch is a very simple mechanism my 8 year old knows what it does theres only so much that can actually be wrong with it. The application of a little common sense is more than enough to enable someone to identify the problem and fix it. If our friend spent more time getting his hands dirty and actually had a look at his clutch if would learn much more than he ever could on a forum
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

mxj560 wrote: Clutch slip seems to be a common problem with ZXR's (never had an issue with mine).
Does it? :smt017
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Tirpitz wrote:
mxj560 wrote: Clutch slip seems to be a common problem with ZXR's (never had an issue with mine).

No but theres increasing numbers of bikes in the hands of people who haven't got the first clue about basic bike maintainance
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

cargo wrote:
Tirpitz wrote:

No but theres increasing numbers of bikes in the hands of people who haven't got the first clue about basic bike maintainance
Me included , already burnt out two clutches and destroyed one inner hub in under 2,000 miles shocking

Never had issues with a clutch in any bike ever except this ZXR :smt017 Doing my bloody head in :smt011
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
mxj560
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L2

Post by mxj560 »

Tirpitz wrote:
My comment comes from having spent quite a while looking at this forum, in the various specific sections, including the various discussions about clutches, where a lot of people appear to talk about having clutch slip problems, commonly it seems, from using fully synthetic oil. As I clearly stated in my post, I have never experienced this myself, but it seems to happen regularly enough to warrant a number of posts on the issue.

Now we can go on posting arsey repluies that don't help anyone, or we can try and be constructive and help the OP, who may not have a basic level of mechanical know-how (it's not a crime by the way!), and is scared of taking parts of his bike to pieces in case he cannot get it back together. I would rather ask here first than make a big mistake causing some serious damage to my bike.

To the OP, if you are still unsure, or are uncomfortable taking your clutch to pieces, or even having a look inside it, please let us know. Someone will more than happily guide you through the process to ensure you get it right. THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THIS FORUM!
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Here here,

I certainly have posted in the past that as soon as I changed my oil to semi-synth it started slipping

I am going to be taking the clutch out of my J1 engine and putting it into the H2 as it's a non slipper however, a freakin huge Typhoon is upon us and its pishin doon like you wouldn't beleive !

MotoGP this weekend again so thats bombed out so may be at least another week yet which is another week the bike is under its cover :smt010 Mind ferck taking it out the now , the road filled up to around 50mm in under 5 mins today when the heavens opened shocking

A tired/stretched clutch cable can also be at fault or a dry cable - take it off and give it a good lube , having a new one on mine I ruled that out but hey ho - I've bought another :smt005

Set it up as shown in the workshop manual - again I done this

I put new steels , frictions & springs in before the hub went fubar and the steels got wrecked with that mess. So current clutch is a bitsa of J2 , M2 & H2

MM!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

the fully syn makes clutches debate has been done to death..............................it's there if anyone wants to read it. I know where I stand.

It is impossible to guide someone via a forum unless they have at least some degree of common sense and can figure how a basic mechanism works...........The clutch is prob one of the easiest bits of the engine to work on................................. I must have been about 15 first time I took one apart.............and not much has changed since
Cimanu
My Bike: Honda RVF400

Post by Cimanu »

Okay,

New springs, cable and plates now in. All three were towards the end of their lives. Bike is now as happy as ever :D Also had it showing 147mph today, no idea where that came from!

There's a runway near me... it wasn't on a public road don't worry!

Also to post above me, that is how you use an Ellipsis.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Want to come and sort mine :smt005
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I await news of a cam chain rattle oldman
mindlock
My Bike: zxr400sp

Post by mindlock »

I've raced ZXR 400s for a few years now, my bike has the SP gear box, so very tall 1st gear and lots of revs to get it off the line, common problems i've encountered are, worn frictions reguarly, plus warped steels, in my experience i'd change frictions twice to every set of steels, and once the steels are warped (identified by blueing and high spots), pull the whole lot out, steels, frictions and springs, throw in the skip and replace.
Over the years i've tried replacing parts here and there, and to be honest its probably a false economy, mind you this is in a racing situation and not general road use, also stack height (steels and frictions measured together) is your friend here, any discrepancy with this will result in slip or poor clutch operation.
Clutch slip in high revs, say 12k plus i would say is your frictions, warped steels will cause 'clutch drag' (ie, bike still wants to roll forward with the clutch pulled in!), i'd bet that as you look through the clutch pack, you will find the centre friction plates to be worn, also examine the steels for blueing or high spots.
Another pearl of wisdom, EBC clutch kits are not that good, you cannot beat kawasaki parts. FACT, although you will pay more, i use EBC and replace reguarly, plus I use fully synth silkolene.
Hope this info helps, also worth measuring the thickness of the frictions and steels if you can with a vernier caliper, info easily found on this forum, download the manaul!! :)
cheers
Ant