Clutch - needle roller bearing - free play?

Moderator: Moderators

Moonfire
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400

Clutch - needle roller bearing - free play?

Post by Moonfire »

Hi all,

I've had my L3's clutch apart to check for wear on the plates (they were OK) and having put it back together notice there is a bit of up and down play if I grab the clutch basket and pull upwards - it's maybe a couple of mm. No obvious signs of the needle roller bearing having collapsed - it doesn't feel rough and there aren't any odd noises coming from it.

Does anyone know if this is normal please - or if I need to take the basket off to check the needle roller bearing for wear?

Grateful for any advice please.
lilmike
My Bike: ZXR 400 L Uk

Re: Clutch - needle roller bearing - free play?

Post by lilmike »

:smt001 Hi moonfire..
My L1 after a thrash around oulton park recently developed a rattly sound ( unless the clutch lever was pulled in ).
Since then i have and still got the ZX in various parts of dismanteling.
I have had the clutch plates out and measured them, found them below service level so bought a complete kit recently ( awaiting arrival ) friction and steel plates with heavy duty springs from weemoto :smt001

When i first took the cover off, i also noticed a bit of free play in the houseing, like you only 1-2mm and was wondering if the roller bearing had given in or washer/s needed replaceing ?
Be nice to have input on this question, to see IF this movement is normal ?

Ive also bought a clutch holder and when that arrives i will take of the hub and check for ware damage on the roller bearing or various washers, before checking/ re torqueing the main nut up once the new plates and springs are fitted :smt001

If no other answers to our question, i will let you know once the clutch on mine is all done..
Unless you have sussed it out already going off the date you posted :smt001
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

If it doesnt rattle, theres something wrong with it. Quite normal for it to make a noise on the zxr.
Moonfire
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400

Post by Moonfire »

Many thanks, both. Came to the same conclusion.

:smt001
Kind regards,