Post by TheG »

yes it jumps forward and the side stand has been bypassed from what i can see
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: clutch cable setup

Post by banner001 »

jumping forwards means that the clutch is engaged even with the lever pulled in, you need to take up more slack with the 2 adjustment screws next to your engine
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Its normal for it to lurch forward a little when you put it in gear, almost all of my bikes have done it. Id be looking carefully at the side stand switch that has been 'bypassed', also is the connectors up by the clutch switch on properly, they are underneath. Otherwise the plates coud be stuck slightly, happens to bikes thats been stood for some time, just a bit of use and they will free up. Give the engine some revs while putting it into first gear, and it should go in without stalling. Just be careful you dont go shooting forward!
TheG
My Bike: currently cbr125

Post by TheG »

Hi i have taken up all slack by the engine its on max adjustment,

The side stand and clutch switch was fine before i left it for 4 months and took the engine out, so i dont think its either

I tried giving it revs before going into first and it made a horrible bang/crunch sound so i didnt do it again
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

TheG wrote:The side stand and clutch switch was fine before i left it for 4 months and took the engine out, so i dont think its either
Well may be worth checking since you done some major work since.....

I take it stalled when it made the bang/crunch? That noise alone tells me that its probably not your side stand switch, its usually quite undramatic when it cuts out due to the side stand being down. So my guess is its probably the plates stuck together. IF your not overly keen on giving it some mechanical abuse, it could wlel be worth getting the clutch apart and seperating them that way. May be worth coating the plates and a bit of oil on reassembly?

BTW, why did you take the engine out?
TheG
My Bike: currently cbr125

Post by TheG »

it wasent a huge sound just did it the once as i gave it revs before trying to release the clutch lever

i have changed friction plates before in my 125

i took engine out as i dropped a collar from feeler guages down a oil well but i managed to get it out with the engine out the frame