changing clutch plates- how does it cause cam chain rattle?

Moderator: Moderators

ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

changing clutch plates- how does it cause cam chain rattle?

Post by ross46 »

i need to replace my clutch plates soon as it is starting to slip quite badly, ive been looking through the posts and ive seen people saying stuff like 'awaiting news of a cam chain rattle' what will cause this? is this if you remove the cam chain tensioner mounting bolts to remove the clutch cable rather than loosening it at the adjusters?
also how do you remove the clutch operating lever to remove the cover? im guessing turn it anticlockwise? does it then click as it disengages and just pull out? thanks, Ross
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: changing clutch plates- how does it cause cam chain ratt

Post by Miles »

I would advise not removing the clutch act. rod as then your more than likely need to replace the o-ring seal . Turn it until it disconnects with the clutch push rod and remove the clutch cover.

As far as im aware changing the clutch plates will have no affect at all on the timing of the zxr engine.

I believe that comment was in jest by cargo if its the thread im thinking
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

yes it was that thread, just made me wonder what he meant? Ok thankyou for your help
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

What cargo meant was undoing the bolts that hold the cable bracket also undo the tensioner. In reality theres no need to undo it to change the clutch cable, it just needs slakening off.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

after stripping my clutch to have a look at the plates and springs to see what i need to buy i am a bit confused about my findings. the spring free length is in tolerance, the friction plates thicknesses are within tolerance, every one measured at different points and the friction plates are not worn past the 0.15mm limit. but when i visually inspected them i found the steels to have some slight blueing, and the friction plates are a bit black
WP_000539.jpg
and the friction plates (sorry about the picture quality)
WP_000536.jpg
is this normal? do the plates need changing to stop the clutch slip?

thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

If they are blue then yes. Other thing is they may be warped which also causes slip. Also what oil are you using? Fully synthetic can cause slip. Are there the correct number of steels and friction plates?
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

By worn past 0.15mm I meant warped, should have clarified. I am using castrol fully synthetic oil, but the clutch was slipping before I changed the oil, looks like I need new plates, springs and steels, bikes getting expensive. I also need new discs, pads, cdi possibly steels, will be nice when I know everything is right though :) thanks for your help
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

plate warp usually causes clutch dragging, i.e. its always slightly engaged, if you can get into neutral fine with the bike turning over, they you probably dont have warped plates.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

ross46 wrote:By worn past 0.15mm I meant warped, should have clarified. I am using castrol fully synthetic oil, but the clutch was slipping before I changed the oil, looks like I need new plates, springs and steels, bikes getting expensive. I also need new discs, pads, cdi possibly steels, will be nice when I know everything is right though :) thanks for your help
you have already said that everything is in tollerance, rob has said to not use fully-synth oil as it causes slip...you are using that and are getting slip...so first up change to semi-synth oil and see if that clears it up/makes it a bit better first, before doing anything else.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

There's an underlying problem, I said earlier that it was slipping before I put in fully synth oil, I will buy some part synth im was more asking what can cause the clutch to slip if the parts are within tolerance? Have the plates overheated? glazed over? I want to k ow what the underlying problem could be
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Ok I have changed my oil from Castrol power 1 racing fully synth to power 1 semi synthetic and the clutch is still slipping at high revs, what could it be as the plates and springs are all within tolerance? Is it that the clutch has overheated as shown by the bluing? What do clutch plates look like that have been 'burnt out'? Thankyou for all your help
And banner I did not mean to be rude by my last post as when reading it again it looks like it could be seen that way
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

no probs.

have you checked the clutch basket for damage?

you could look at stiffer springs like EBC heavy duty maybe? but as ive not delved into my clutch yet i cant recommend anything unfortunatly.

irrespective of that, if some of your steels are blued you should replace them, they blue due to high heat from starting off with the revs too high, it also makes them smoother so that could be causing the slip?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Another thing. Is the clutch lever releasing fully? Cable well oiled?

I suspect you just need new steels and frictions but worth checking the cable.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

I'm going to replace the cable, I bought a pattern one and it was crap, way too long, so im going to get a genuine one, how do you check the cable is releasing fully?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

if it not releasing properly the bike will want to creep forward in 1st gear with the clutch lever pulled in.