Clutch

Moderator: Moderators

Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Clutch

Post by Xphyral »

noticed today i'm getting a some noises coming from the lower left hand engine area while riding. it isnt there when sat idling or when the clutch lever is pulled in. i first noticed it when i knocked the throttle off and let bike roll up to traffic lights at low revs, in the 3k area and heard it once again on an upshift earlier today. it sounds kind of ball bearing in a tin can kind of rattle and not like the normal clutch basket rattle.

clutch still works as normal though, but before i start stripping bits, anyone got any ideas?

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Wont be the clutch as that is on the right hand side of the engine. Hows the tension on your chain? And are the two bolts that hold on the front sprocket in place?

Are the side stand bolts loose? that could be wobbling about?

Possibly a loose nut or bolt. May be a bearing thats shot, check the rear wheel berarings, i got a knocking sound that i thought was by my footrest (cos thats where i could feel it as well) but was the rear wheel bearing.

Thats about all i can think it could be.
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Xphyral »

i know it's not chain or rear wheel cuz funnily enough i cleaned, oiled and tightened my chain as well as checked bearings and alignment the day before.

reason i thought it might be clutch is that my bike has the usually old bike clutch rattle and that sound kinda more obvious on the left hand side of the bike. also i started noticing it a little after i badly messed up a gear change, found a false neutral engine revved up and slipped it back into gear with a nice crunch :smt003

on the way home today played around a little trying to get the noise back and it does it if i upshift with the clutch partway in. it doesnt seem have the buzzy kind of sound to it you get with a loose bolt, but i'll go through and check em all again. if it continues i'll try get it to make the noise while it's on the paddock stand and post a sound clip

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.