Kawaski back torque limiter? is it a slipper clutch?

Moderator: Moderators

Smousley1995
My Bike: Zxr 400 L 1993

Kawaski back torque limiter? is it a slipper clutch?

Post by Smousley1995 »

Ive got a 1992 zxr 400 japanese import and it has stickers saying "KBATL" and underneath it says "Kawasaki Back Torque Limiter"
I know a back torque limiter is a slipper clutch but does my bike really have a slipper clutch?
The reason i need to know is bacause i need to change my clutch plates and springs which i can do on my own fine but if it has a slipper clutch then i dont know how different it will be and i dont want to mess it up?
Thanks, sam.
Why take life so seriously, your not going to come out alive!
adamm1704
My Bike: Zxr400 H1

Re: Kawaski back torque limiter? is it a slipper clutch?

Post by adamm1704 »

If you just changing the plates and springs it will be done the same way as a normal clutch. Just make sure to check the stack height is correct as its more important on a slipper clutch. As you might know if you know how one works the hub is different too with the ramps and engagement dogs on the underside. Put everything back the way you found it and tighten everything up to the manual specs and you should be fine :)
Smousley1995
My Bike: Zxr 400 L 1993

Re: Kawaski back torque limiter? is it a slipper clutch?

Post by Smousley1995 »

As it turns out I'm going to be doing it with my girlfriends dad who used to race these so heel know what to do any case :) thanks for your reply :)
Why take life so seriously, your not going to come out alive!