My Bike: zxr400 L-9

play in the clutch lever ?

Post by spudboy6 »

so the clutch in my zxr was rubbish so i replaced the whole lot
friction plates
steels
springs
cable

Refitted all together and the clutch rod/shaft arm under the clutch cover where the cable goes is sitting really close to the bracket for the clutch cable therefor giving me hardly any movement on the clutch and lots of slack

any ideas of what i may have done wrong or whats up ?

my clutch rod arm looks a little worn will upload photos in a sec

thanks
spudboy6

Re: play in the clutch lever ?

Post by spudboy6 »

okay so built up the clutch rod arm with weld still the same issue

now the rod going in the middle of the basket has lots of in and out movement what causes this ? should i replace parts of shim it with washers ?

thanks guys
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

have you got a picture of the clutch shaft?
spudboy6

Post by spudboy6 »

Sorry for poor quality comin from photo bucket
So post welding

Here's the difference in movement before I put a washer between the bearing and rod

I fitted a new ebc clutch kit the lot steels and springs ect and a clutch cable

The old clutch was nackered plates were blue and under thickness so i changed it to hope to lose the play in the lever and its still there , with the washer the arm now sits back where it should and no play in the lever (small play left in the rod in the basket )
spudboy6

Post by spudboy6 »

Silly photos not showing up properly how do you lot upload ? Before fitting a washer there was about 2.5mm play in the rod

Re read the manual and watched a video on this forum a few posts down and in the video it says the last friction plate sits on its own in an ofset grove

I've got all mine in the long deep ones
So I need to strip it again and ofset the last plate

Is this correct and could this have caused my issue all along as I just stripped it and rebuilt it as it came apart ?
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Yeah, last plate offset
viewtopic.php?f=118&t=14839&p=108533&hi ... on#p108533
My video of how to do the clutch, is it an ebc srk clutch your using?
spudboy6

Post by spudboy6 »

Yea EBC SRK kit ,
It was your video i watched earlier which made me go oh sh*t hang on i done that bit wrong i copied how it came off the bike so.
looks like some monkey had been in there before as there was washers behind the pressure plate where the springs and bolts came through which wernt in the manual so i presume as the springs went weak someone put them in to get some more use out the clutch ?

theres none in your video on your bike

is there any issues with the EBC kit ?

And could this friction plate in the wrong locator cause my movement or have i got an issue ?
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Yeah, washers on the springs is a common little trick to get more use, in theory its the same as using the ebc stiffer springs which I have in my bike, the last plate offset I can't imagine moving without someone doing it wrong if that's what your asking, im not too sure?
spudboy6

Post by spudboy6 »

Yea its not broken the person before must have fitted it wrong , opened her up again this lunch time and ofset the last friction plate and but still have the mysterious play in the clutch arm and it was sitting really far forward still (close the the clutch cable bracket ) so i put my washer back in and it feels great now ,

bikes finally coming together suspension set up and chain and sprockets on tomorrow and got my test next week so fingers crossed !
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

So have you got it all sorted now? Take a picture from an underneath angle of the clutch arm so we can see what sort of distance it is where you said its got too much play
spudboy6

Post by spudboy6 »

Its all back together now i just left a shim behind the rod in the basket to take the play out , but it was sitting very close to the cable bracket before , i can take a photo of where it is sitting now in the morning and ill point to where it sat before the washer ,

fitted the new chain an sprockets today so will see how it rides in a few days time
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Make sure to report back on the srk clutch for me :smt002 also what are you using engine oil wise?
spudboy6

Post by spudboy6 »

Clutch soaked in oil night before and fitted k&n oil filter with castrol power 1 racing 10w40 . (4l halfords £32 on trade )

You may be waiting a while or a review my module 1 test is this weekend and module 2 on the 23rd eek !
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

So your running fully synthetic, that's exactly my planned setup, one of the theories on here is that the oem clutch plates are old and dont do well with the new technology oil, hence why everyone recommends to use semi synth, but if we accept that theory then the new ebc plates will be ok with fully synthetic
spudboy6

Post by spudboy6 »

Yea im running a fully synthetic , my friend test drove it for me and said its not slipping and all is well so far but ill rack up some miles on it soon , but would love to know where that play cames from !