New clutch not working URGENT

Moderator: Moderators

ChowderV4
My Bike: Zxr400L racer

New clutch not working URGENT

Post by ChowderV4 »

basically i have the first race of the season this weekend.
Ive installed a new clutch with brand new steels and springs and as new friction plates that are well withing tolerance, all orginal kawasaki.
I've soaked in oil for 24 hours before and made sure they are installed in the correct order, but when i put the cover on the clutch pivot pin thing just doesnt seem to grab the clutch it spins round a lot more than it should meaning even with the cable fully adjusted it doesnt engage the clutch.

Im a t a loss as its all kawasaki equipment and i rang kawasaki asking if the steels were the only and correct thickness and they said yes.
it feels like its packed too thick but the plates are all correct.

ANy help is seriously needed as im losing my mind

my basket does have ome side to side play, could this be the cause or possibly the rivits have gone on the basket?
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: New clutch not working URGENT

Post by Mori Man »

ChowderV4 wrote: but when i put the cover on the clutch pivot pin thing just doesnt seem to grab the clutch it spins round a lot more than it should meaning even with the cable fully adjusted it doesnt engage the clutch.
You need to make sure the pin is aligned right to catch the push rod or as you say it will just burl around - have a look and rule that out as a cause.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Oh, if you've put to much pressure onto the clutch cover you may have made a hairline crack in it, pretty sure I have done that before :smt011

So once you get it to locate right expect an oil weep once warm , if not you've won a watch :smt001
ChowderV4

Post by ChowderV4 »

Yeah I got a crack in my old casing asking from that. Made sure not to over tighten it.
I'll have a look at the pin. But i spent ages fiddling last night and couldn't get it to catch right.

Could the play in the basket have anything to do with it.
Yeah can move the basket left right/up down a but, even the big gear moves, could the basket have been put on wrong/wrong order of washers or something , I've never had it off but I've had clutch slip all last season and tried new plates with no results.
ChowderV4

Post by ChowderV4 »

I had a similar issue before, I ordered the right plates and it wouldn't engage, I ordered from wemoto and they sent thinner plates and it worked but has slip.
Standard are 2.9 or something, I think I got sent 2.7 before and that worked, is it possible someone has put a H basket in for some reason and how would I check
ChowderV4

Post by ChowderV4 »

just tried another basket with all new plates and still wont engage the pull rod
seems to be too much play back and forth in the pin before the rod grabs it
ChowderV4

Post by ChowderV4 »

ok . i am at a complete loss

new steels
new springs
new cable
frictions well within tolerance
all orginal kawasaki

all plates soaked in oil and put together in the correct order, friction steel friction etc 6 friction , 5 steels, last friction in the offset tang

tried 2 different baskets and clutch covers
all put together in the correct order

both situations the puller has too much movement back and forth before the pushrod grabs it and wont engage the clutch

HELP ANYONE?

i have a race on the weekend

the only time it has been put together and worked is when i had pattern steels ordered off wemoto that were thinner than the standard kawasaki size.
standard steels 2.92/2.95 or something like that
pattern ones from wemoto 2.72/75 around that mark

when i put the pattern ones together properly the clutch will work fine but i have suffered extreme slip throughout the season and now they are blued and probably warped.

can anyone explain this. Ive rang kawasaki and they said the only correct steels are the ones i got sent.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Have you got all the washers back in place ?
ZXR4 Clutch.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChowderV4

Post by ChowderV4 »

all together as it should be

went to the track and tried it with one 2.90 and four 2.70 steels + frictions and springs. works perfect, went to brands and got two 1st places and a 2nd.

:excited
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

:smt023
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

ChowderV4 wrote:all together as it should be

went to the track and tried it with one 2.90 and four 2.70 steels + frictions and springs. works perfect, went to brands and got two 1st places and a 2nd.

:excited
mexwave mexwave mexwave
shaggy69
My Bike: ZXR 400 Racebike

Post by shaggy69 »

ZXRs have two different thickness of steels depending on what clutch is fitted. I have had this issue several times when swapping complete clutches from bike to bike. I have no idea whether the difference is from H to L or KBTL to non- KBTL, all I know is that I have two different types of clutches with different covers that have different thickness steels.