clutch noise

Moderator: Moderators

steve2776
My Bike: tomos moped

clutch noise

Post by steve2776 »

hi all, just wondering if anyone could tell me why i can hear a rattling noise when my clutch is out in neutral, when i pull the clutch in the noise dissapears. could it be something as simple as the clutch cable or is this gonna cost me a fortune. im new to motorcycles and dont know much about them at all. it is a j reg zxr 400, many thanks, steve.
Merls

More noise in neutral

Post by Merls »

very strange, I have the same problem and every time I ask somebody what it could be they look at me with concern! I can't help but would be interested if anyone can.
Full Tilt

Post by Full Tilt »

Hi mate,

Same on my j plater as well it's been doing it for 5 years now and not got any worse, i have been told by a couple of people it is nothing to wory about. It's just the clutch basket ratteling as it has no pressure on it as the clutch is not engaged.

Hope this helps ?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

don't fret peoples. its a zxr400 clutch, they all do it, there is a post somewhere on this forum i'll see if i can find it that explains what it is, i will be adding a buyers guide to the website soon and will mention it.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
steve2776

Post by steve2776 »

its doin my head in, need to get it sorted asap, got my bike test in 2 weeks and i want the problem solved, im off to work now and i hope ive got loads of replies when i get home lol, c'mon guys, HELP!!!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

posted at the same time :D
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
steve2776

Post by steve2776 »

IT SEEMS TO RATTLE WORSE WHEN I REV THE ENGINE AT VERY LOW REVS, BUT ANYTHING OVER 2000RPM ITS GREAT. ITS JUST IF I TWEEK THE ACCELERATOR.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

there are 4 ball bearings in the clutch assembly which wear down, i will try and get hold of a clutch and take some piccies, its easier to explain then.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

the one on the right.

steve2776

Post by steve2776 »

hi mate, is this a problem that needs to be sorted asap or is it ok to be left alone, thanks for the help, steve.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

personally i wouldn't bother, i replaced my clutch and didn't bother with the bearings as i've heard this problem on brand new zxr400s, i don't know if buying a new clutch part would cure it?its the most common worry on the zxr400s.
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

The long and short of it, is that it doesn't cause any problem over any timescale that i've ever heard of, will cost around £200 for a local garage to sort it out for you - and will be sound exactly the same again after you've done a few hundred miles. :|

If you want to keep spending money for something that isn't a problem at all, and just sounds a bit odd, then feel free lol.

I'd heard it was something to do with scores on the clutch basket - but i don't know what a clutch basket is and have never bothered to find out :D

Ey - forgeddaboudit, ya bums!!! 8)
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

Unless it's your cam chains rattling - then you're buggered. :P
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

steve2776

Post by steve2776 »

thanks for all the help people, hope it isnt the cam chain, what are the signs on that? cant be cam chain cus the noise stops when i pull the clutch in. its not a loud noise, its just not a nice noise to hear.
cheers all.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

its definitely your clutch, could be worse you could be ridin a ducati, now they do rattle!!