clutch

Moderator: Moderators

kion
My Bike: zxr400

clutch

Post by kion »

dunno if this is with all zxr, mayb just mine but compaired to other bikes the zxr clutch is realy toad, like betime ive released it am doin 5-10 mph unless i give loads of revs, like on other bikes betime uve released the clutch ur doin 20mph, feels dead dull as well with no pullin power???
ride with pride
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: clutch

Post by RedexRobB »

Thats a really crap explanation mate :smt005

Not sure what 'betime' means? before?

Im guessing what your trying to say is you have to change into 2nd gear at quite a low speed, whereas other bikes are going alot faster before they have to change to 2nd gear?

If so, then thats pretty normal, other bikes will have very different ratios in the gear box than the ZXR. You could also try reving it higher ;)
kion
My Bike: zxr400

Post by kion »

lol toad, betime= by the time.i think i may gear down the sprokets, would that help, no its just the clutch its very week, the zxr has a tall first gear.
how fast are u goin on ur 750 betime uve released the clutch,
ride with pride
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

On my 750 i darent let the clutch out too quick incase it flips, from a standstill anyway :d

Do you have an SP model? They have very tall first gears as far as i remember.

Still not sure what your getting at :S Im guessing you cant slip the clutch long enough to pull off smoothly? So its just 'grabbing' at low speed, check your oil make sure its the right level and also that its not old old oil. If they are ok, you may just have knackered clutch plates.
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

If the clutch plates are good, then they get off the mark as fast as you can keep the front end down....
But they do seem to suffer a bit from clutch slip...which yrs may be?
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Xphyral »

it's a 400, power starts a lot higher in the rev range. give it more revs, spend a little longer letting the clutch out. there isnt much power at the bottom end so if your not revving it enough and finishing your clutch slip too early your going to bog it down, and by the sounds of it (5-10mph) thats what your doing. it's not a 750, it's not a 600 it doesnt have as much big bang for the bottom end torque so your gonna have to give it a handful and learn to balence it on the clutch properly.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

my clutch works mint. in fact the 400 clutch is way better than me 600 :smt017
Remember speed kills, so does smoking, drinking, drugs, fast food and many more good things
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

your not slipping the clutch by the sounds off it, i could let the clutch fully out on my zxr at 10mph odd or slip the clutch up to about 40 odd for the fastest possbile start

dont worry about damaging the clutch, motorbike clutchs are covered in engine oil and made to be slipped loads
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

superman wrote:my clutch works mint. in fact the 400 clutch is way better than me 600 :smt017

Does the 600 not have a slipper clutch?? Or is yours an older one? Ive heard some great stuff about those slipper clutches.
One life, Live it!
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

the zxr has a slipper clutch but its called a "back torque limiter". All a slipper clutch dos is if you go down the gears to quick it slipps the clutch insted of locking the rear
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/