Loose clutch cable

Moderator: Moderators

davebird
My Bike: zxr400 L8

Loose clutch cable

Post by davebird »

Hi.
I had a new clutch cable fitted for the MOT on my L8 and have only done 500miles since. I was going down the motorway on Sunday and slowly the clutch cable became slacker and slacker until the clutch was not engaging at all when I was changing gear. I tightened the cable up on the lever as far as possible which has worked but is it also possible to tighten it on the other end to take up the slack? Advice much appreciated.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Loose clutch cable

Post by RedexRobB »

Welcome to the forum dave :)

Yes there is an adjuster at the other end of the clutch cable to take out any more slack. Why its went slack like that in the first place i dont know, maybe something hasnt been put together properly and is loosening off. Let us know how you get on :smt001
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Whatever you do do NOT touch the two little bolts holding the cable bracket to the bottom of the engine...........those bolts also hold the cam chain adjuster in place.....................if you do slacken them you will need to reset the cam chain adjuster
davebird
My Bike: zxr400 L8

Post by davebird »

Thanks for the warm welcome and many thanks for the help, I will try to look at it on Wed when I get home form work.