Clutch problems

Moderator: Moderators

Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Re: Clutch problems

Post by Jeppo »

I dno if my oil is semi synth or normal stuff as yours has. But my clutch isn't slipping at all it's just not disengaging properly. And it really is only when its warm.
I'm thinking I will get some type of spacer in at the cable housing by the lever to effectively lengthen the pull of the lever. I have tried this a little and it does fully disengage the clutch, and also heightens the bite point, (not that that is a real bonus)

Is this going to damage anything??
zxrjohn14
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by zxrjohn14 »

there sounds like a problem somewhere in there, so a spacer might just mask the problem for another 2000 miles and then you might end up with a serious problem.
if its happening more when it gets hot, then it might be something to do with the steels or basket (metal expanding in heat and all that).
get the clutch out and have a look at it all again, mix the plates and steels into different positions (see if it's worse or better...or maybe indifferent), make sure the basket nut is tight, the bearing is in place, the last plate is in the correct slot and the springs are torqued up.
:smt003
Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Jeppo »

I have to drain the oil to do all this rite? I mite have to mask the problem for a while coz i can't really afford several bottles of castrol stuff lol. Skint student nd all that :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Do what i did to lewis' bike :smt003

Old tyre on the floor, lay it on its left hand side and do what you need to do. Keeps the oil where it needs to be and you dont loose a drop. :smt001
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: K ZXR400 L2, H Rebel 125

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

When I changed my clutch plates, I parked the bike with the side stand facing towards the bottom a steep slope. My garage has a slight ramp into it so that was perfect. Whipped the side off and saw the oil just sitting there miles away from spilling out.

Regards

Rich
MillaMeter's ZXR400 Restoration Click HERE!
ZXR400s 4eva! I miss mine already :(
Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Jeppo »

Ha great idea rob but i can see it going horribly wrong!! lol
Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Jeppo »

What about draining it and re-using the same oil?? Or is that a no-no
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Long as the caontainer it goes into is clean and doesnt get contaminated then yeah that should be fine. Might wanna get a new sump washer tho just in case!
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Post by lewisdale »

i think maybe the basket has got notches worn into it, if its not to bad you may be able to get away with it by filing the notches out