WARNING LIGHT/CLUTCH

Moderator: Moderators

infidel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400H

WARNING LIGHT/CLUTCH

Post by infidel »

I'm an old biker with no practical experience of Japanese or modern bikes. I love this little old 1988 ZXR though, which I've just bought. I have two queries which I hope someone can help with. Firstly, as I don't have an owner's manual, and they seem impossible to get, I would like to know what the red warning light called 'SPEED" next to the oil warning light is.

Also, I think I'm going to have to replace the clutch, which is slipping, as apparently all the adjustment has been taken up at the lever. Do I need to buy a set of clutch friction plates, plus a separate plate, plus some clutch springs? Can anyone recommend anywhere, please?

All information would be gratefully received!

Stewart
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Re: WARNING LIGHT/CLUTCH

Post by diesel »

as its an import id say the speed light is to warn u that you are going over the speed limit for that country. as for the clutch, id replace the lot. that way it eliminates any probs with the clutch later on.
Quicker Than Yngwie

infidel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by infidel »

Thanks, Diesel, for the light info, and it sounds sensible to replace the lot. Is it a big job, I'm wondering?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

we have a manual here mate

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/manual.html

Replacing the clutch is simply a case of taking the old lot out and putting the new lot in iirc, only adjustments to be made is on the clutch cable to adjust the slack :smt001
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

as robb said , check the manula. its a great source of info. and its actually a piece of piss if you can hold a spanner the right way round ;)
Quicker Than Yngwie

infidel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by infidel »

It's the holding a spanner the right way around which worries me!
But I have just managed to get hold of an old manual and it does seem straightforward, so many thanks............