Noise from clutch area

Moderator: Moderators

doodlebug

Noise from clutch area

Post by doodlebug »

Hi all, Some of you may remember me, I used to come on here a little when I had a road going ZXR, Anyway things have moved on since and Im now racing a ZXR with Bemsee. Anyway to the point! Since Brands hatch afew weeks ago, Ive had a nasty rattle from t'clutch area, its intermittent though and goes completely when the clutch is pulled in. Now basically Ive got the clutch in bits, expecting to find somthing fairly fecked. But all I can see which seems a little odd is the inner part of the basket (dont know what its called) That toothed thingy, anyway it has quite alot of play, not circular play, I gather its supposed to have that, somthing to do with the KBTL maybe? Anyway, left to right, up and down free play, is that normal? If not, what exactly is likely to be fuckered?

Cheers guys and gals,

Dale 37
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Noise from clutch area

Post by jake »

hey Doodlebug.
any other movement apart from the left/right within the slots of the kabtl sounds a bit odd mate.
Ive heard of the baskets coming away at the rivets before, but im sure that would have big effects on clutch opperation... im not sure. Your clubs ballsout greville might know if its the rivets as i think it happened to his bike.
other than that i aint got a clue!
doodlebug

Post by doodlebug »

jake wrote:hey Doodlebug.
any other movement apart from the left/right within the slots of the kabtl sounds a bit odd mate.
Ive heard of the baskets coming away at the rivets before, but im sure that would have big effects on clutch opperation... im not sure. Your clubs ballsout greville might know if its the rivets as i think it happened to his bike.
other than that i aint got a clue!
Oh yeah ol Greville, Ill have a word with him.

Thanks!

ANyone else got any ideas?
will#224
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: L1 racer

Post by will#224 »

collapsed bearing?
doodlebug

Post by doodlebug »

will#224 wrote:collapsed bearing?
Bearing seems fine :smt017
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L3

Post by saka_ZXR »

what kind of a noise is it mate?

Is it like a hollow knocking sound?

Just cuz i can hear one on mne and similarly it stops when i pull the clutch in, just wondered if mine was suffering from the same thing/].
If it's broke spray it with WD40, if it's still broke spray it again and leave it over night, if it's still broke, bin it.
doodlebug

Post by doodlebug »

Update on this, was the gearbox. It shat its pants at Brands 2 weeks ago!