Help with Clutch

Moderator: Moderators

-GQ-

Help with Clutch

Post by -GQ- »

I lost use of my clutch during a race at Oulton yesterday - the lever just went floppy-ish into cascades and completely limp into Shell - end of race :smt013 . I suspect it was a result of bumping into a backmarker going up Clay Hill earlier in the day :smt102 .

I'm not that familiar with the clutch assembly, and the drawings in the manuals are not that clear. Could someone do me a huge favour and post a picture of their clutch assembly, from the top? Even if it is a road-bike, I suspect the assembly will be the same.

Cheers

GQ
Last edited by -GQ- on Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
will#224
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: L1 racer

Re: Help with Clutch - picture needed

Post by will#224 »

Mine was similar after a test day at Brands.

It still operated just but was really soft and came almost back to the bar to engage and disengage.

I've not stripped it yet and it was a new cable on not long ago.
-GQ-

Post by -GQ- »

I know what you mean with it being soft, but this was different. It doesn't go back to the 'disengage' position, it just stays up against the bar. I'm not sure what mechanism it is that normally pulls it back to the starting position.

I have since posting, looked at the lower end(clutch side of the cable end, as opposed to the lever side) too, and everything is still attached - thought it might have come off at the low end of the cable, but still ok there.
U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

I think i've got some pics of my clutch assembly from when I changed my plates. Can post them on here need to get them off my Facebook for ya :smt003

Ciaran #65
Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400 track, vfr800 road

Post by Davw »

Has the clutch arm "dropped" from its engage position? If you look at the base of the clutch cover where the arm is located you might see that the arm has dropped. If so - disconnect the cable - turn and pusha arm back up - reattach cable and - all sorted - hopefully.

That sounds like the only thing that would explain the clutch lever problem
Fatspanner Racing/[/size][/color]
-GQ-

Post by -GQ- »

U_h0rnet5 wrote:I think i've got some pics of my clutch assembly from when I changed my plates. Can post them on here need to get them off my Facebook for ya :smt003

Ciaran #65
Thanks Ciaran. I meant the clutch lever assembly on the bar. But if it turns out to be an internal issue, I'll PM you.
Thanks.
-GQ-

Post by -GQ- »

Davw wrote:Has the clutch arm "dropped" from its engage position? If you look at the base of the clutch cover where the arm is located you might see that the arm has dropped. If so - disconnect the cable - turn and pusha arm back up - reattach cable and - all sorted - hopefully.

That sounds like the only thing that would explain the clutch lever problem
Is this the area you mean? Can you see from this if the arm has dropped - not sure which part is the arm.
Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400 track, vfr800 road

Post by Davw »

The arm looks fine (at least for height) - and that bike is seriously clean!!!
Fatspanner Racing/[/size][/color]
-GQ-

Post by -GQ- »

Thanks for checking.

I've ordered a new lever assembly. Will fit that and see what happens.

I think the flash makes the bike look a bit cleaner than it is! The chain side is a bit less spick and span.
-GQ-

Re: Help with Clutch

Post by -GQ- »

Help still needed...

I've taken off and put back together the clutch lever assembly, and all is fine there. I reckon the problem must be at the other end - holding the lever then pushing back the release lever at the bottom end of the cable shows that the lever end is fine.

What I need to find out is what is the mechanism that pushes the release lever at the bottom end of the cable back, so that it in turn pushes the clutch lever at the handlebar back into starting position? Any ideas??? Need to get it sorted before next race this weekend vsad
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Ballsout Racing »

From that picture it looks as if the arm/lever is not 'pulling' the cable back, ie it's become detached from the release mechanism inside the clutch - hence clutch lever stying at the bar. Release the cable, the arm may drop out of the bottom of the cover -pissing oil everywhere so lean bike over before doing so. If not turn the lever back towards the rear of the bike and it should then drop out, with the lever pointing back push it all the way back in, then turn the lever back to the position that it is in the picture, you should feel it 'enguage', or stop moving further towards the cable, then reattach the cable and adjust accordingley. If it doesn't, there's an internal problem. As you're not familiar with the workings, I'd get a manual or get someone who knows what they are doing :smt002
-GQ-

Post by -GQ- »

Thanks Greville. Just tried that a few times and no luck. I can get the arm out completely and push it back - it will only go in in a certain way with the catch at the top, which I can feel, but it still won't push the lever back. Internal it is then...

Off to beg my mechanic to help out before Friday...
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

why dont you do it yourself?
-GQ-

Post by -GQ- »

RedexRobB wrote:why dont you do it yourself?
I'd love to, but am not very good as a mechanic. When I started doing trackdays a couple of years ago, I couldn't even change a wheel. I'm learning as I go along, and I can now do some basics, but taking the clutch internals apart is not something I want to give a go a few days before a race weekend.

The guy who normally does bigger things for me has the bike now - will hopefully get it sorted before Friday.