Removing clutch cover

Moderator: Moderators

Chris1984
My Bike: zxr 400

Removing clutch cover

Post by Chris1984 »

I want to take off my clutch cover to give it a good paint as the paint thats on it is flaking,do i have to drain the oil from the bike before removing it and is there anything to watch out for.
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Re: Removing clutch cover

Post by Jamz »

Chris1984 wrote:I want to take off my clutch cover to give it a good paint as the paint thats on it is flaking,do i have to drain the oil from the bike before removing it and is there anything to watch out for.
You can lay the bike on it's side (on some old tyres or something) like i've seen racers do, but it's best to drop the oil out. I don't think there's a gasket but there might be a couple of locating pegs that you need to make sure don't go missing, and other than that it's just a case of unbolting and bolting everything up in a cross pattern. :smt002
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Chris1984 wrote:I want to take off my clutch cover to give it a good paint as the paint thats on it is flaking,do i have to drain the oil from the bike before removing it and is there anything to watch out for.

There IS a gasket pay no attention to Jamz

You will also need to disconect the clutch cable..................................be warned doing this the wrong way will cause you more serious problems.

DO NOT TOUCH OR UNDO THE TWO BOLTS HOLDING THE BRACKET FOR THE CLUTCH CABLE THESE TWO BOLTS ALSO HOLD THE CAM CHAIN TENSIONER IN PLACE UNDOING THEM WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS

TO REMOVE THE CLUTCH CABLE SLACKEN THE ADJUSTER NUTS ON THE CABLE ADJUSTER UNTILL THERE IS ENOUGH SLACK TO DISCONECT THE CABLE

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THIS ON THE SIDE STAND WITH OIL STILL IN THE BIKE..............THERE MAY WELL BE SOME LOSS OF OIL WHEN YOU REMOVE THE COVER BUT NOT TOO MUCH AFTER YOUR FINISHED AND THE COVER IS BACK ON RECHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL

NOW YOU CAN SLACKEN THE CLUTCH COVER BOLTS IN A CRISS CROSS PATTERN IF YOU LIKE.
ODDS ARE YOU WILL NEED A NEW GASKET
AND WHEN REFITTING TIGHTEN THE BOLTS TO THE CORRECT TORQUE
Chris1984

Post by Chris1984 »

cargo wrote:

There IS a gasket pay no attention to Jamz

You will also need to disconect the clutch cable..................................be warned doing this the wrong way will cause you more serious problems.

DO NOT TOUCH OR UNDO THE TWO BOLTS HOLDING THE BRACKET FOR THE CLUTCH CABLE THESE TWO BOLTS ALSO HOLD THE CAM CHAIN TENSIONER IN PLACE UNDOING THEM WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS

TO REMOVE THE CLUTCH CABLE SLACKEN THE ADJUSTER NUTS ON THE CABLE ADJUSTER UNTILL THERE IS ENOUGH SLACK TO DISCONECT THE CABLE

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THIS ON THE SIDE STAND WITH OIL STILL IN THE BIKE..............THERE MAY WELL BE SOME LOSS OF OIL WHEN YOU REMOVE THE COVER BUT NOT TOO MUCH AFTER YOUR FINISHED AND THE COVER IS BACK ON RECHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL

NOW YOU CAN SLACKEN THE CLUTCH COVER BOLTS IN A CRISS CROSS PATTERN IF YOU LIKE.
ODDS ARE YOU WILL NEED A NEW GASKET
AND WHEN REFITTING TIGHTEN THE BOLTS TO THE CORRECT TORQUE
ok thought it might be a bigger job than expected might just leave this till summer overs so i have more time.
Chris1984

Post by Chris1984 »

Are you a bike mechanic cargo you seem to know what your on about when it comes to bikes or did you just pick up stuff as you went along.
I like to give things ago but usally get them wrong first time around but i learn from my mistakes a get it right second or third time.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Chris1984 wrote:Are you a bike mechanic cargo you seem to know what your on about when it comes to bikes or did you just pick up stuff as you went along.
I like to give things ago but usally get them wrong first time around but i learn from my mistakes a get it right second or third time.
Its not that big a job chris you just need to be careful NOT to touch the cam chain tensioner.........if I was doing this at home right now the cover would be off in 5 minutes or less.
If you had the new gasket and your paint ready to go it could be painted and back on in no time.

I'm not a mechanic.....................but I've over 32 years experience working on bikes from 50cc mopeds in the seventies to my ZX6R race bike today.
I've been racing for nearly 14 years and I've had ZXR400 race and road bikes for 9 years.
Just now I own and maintain 2 ZXR 400 race bikes plus another 2 in bits along with the ZX6R and the wifes road bike...........................and I've a 97 CBR 600 race bike too for the occasional race.
And a Triumph Trident Sprint road bike that needs restoring.

NOT a mechanic just a grumpy old man who has made all the mistakes and learnt from them.......................... oldman oldman
Chris1984

Post by Chris1984 »

cargo wrote:
Chris1984 wrote:Are you a bike mechanic cargo you seem to know what your on about when it comes to bikes or did you just pick up stuff as you went along.
Its not that big a job chris you just need to be careful NOT to touch the cam chain tensioner.........if I was doing this at home right now the cover would be off in 5 minutes or less.
If you had the new gasket and your paint ready to go it could be painted and back on in no time.

I'm not a mechanic.....................but I've over 32 years experience working on bikes from 50cc mopeds in the seventies to my ZX6R race bike today.
I've been racing for nearly 14 years and I've had ZXR400 race and road bikes for 9 years.
Just now I own and maintain 2 ZXR 400 race bikes plus another 2 in bits along with the ZX6R and the wifes road bike...........................and I've a 97 CBR 600 race bike too for the occasional race.
And a Triumph Trident Sprint road bike that needs restoring.

NOT a mechanic just a grumpy old man who has made all the mistakes and learnt from them.......................... oldman oldman
I will need to buy the gasket and paint also need to get a torque wrench so not in any rush for this job,will the paint need to be the high temp stuff? Do you ever go to mondello i'm not far from there,would love to give racing ago but don't think my wallet would allow me.