Moderator: Moderators

CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Wet Weather, Winter, Commuter tyres

Post by CaNsA »

Recommendations?

Ive got BT090 on the bike right now, but on the legal limit if not over. They are awesome tyres but didnt give me the miles i thought i would get.
With winter looming, if not already here with a vengeance, and the need for new tyres i thought best to ask what to get before going out and getting summin crap.

Cheers
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Re: Wet Weather, Winter, Commuter tyres

Post by Jeppo »

the 92's i've heard will give you the miles but thats not from experience.

Last winter i ran pirelli diablos which gave damn good grip regardless of weather. And they take the miles well. They were still going strong when i sold the thing last month. Have diablos on my 7r now and still luv em.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

After much deliberation i have decided to go for the Metzeler Z6 jobbies 160/60/17 120/60/17

the best price i have found online is £182.77 + £8 delivery.

Can anyone on here better that?
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

Was doing some research and i have decided against getting the Metzelers. They seem to be used for much bigger bikes. 600+cc

They will be far to stiff on the butt of a ZXR me thinks. Im just gonna replace the BT090 i have on there at the moment. I know how it feels, i know how it grips etc etc.

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

I ran 090's last winter and did well enough. Your not going to be doing silly stuff that time of year regardless of what tyres you have. Id say go for a tyre thats gonna last with 99% of its miles done in the middle of it, cos that will be exactly where your riding. 090's are supposed to be 400 specific with quicker warm up times with the softer compound, so maybe the answer is staring you in the face?

Ill be tackling this winter with Avon Viper Sports, ill let you know how i get on!
jackdim
My Bike: yz490

Post by jackdim »

Been pushing my 4 relatively hard on the Avon Viper Sports it came with, not as confidence inspiring as the 090s but nevertheless a decent tyre. I'm not sure on durability however as they were already a fair bit worn when I got them.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

I find the vipers better than the 090's, but thats the thing with tyres; its all about feel.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

Well, im all excited about my new rubber today :D
1 set of brand new tires EVER. The last set i put on were already scrubbed in cos they were from the project bike.

Guess its time to put all the "Take it easy, they will be slippy as fuk, dont push it" etc etc into practice.
Im off to alton towers tomorrow, so that should sort them out :D
Ill be out for a bit tonight maybe, to "break them in" :D

Also, the Opie Oil kit has arrived from oilman (cheers buddy) so i will be doing that this morning :D

I am one happy bunny. :smt003 :smt004

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

When i get new tyres i visit roundabouts and ;eft hand turns, slwly leaning further and further each time. Like that i get the shine scubbed off in less than 10 miles :) apparently you can use fine sand paper to take it off.