RACE TYRES - Best tyres for race track?

Moderator: Moderators

Geffro
My Bike: ZXR400 L1 trackbike

RACE TYRES - Best tyres for race track?

Post by Geffro »

Hi there,
looking to start racing next year, (at knockhill with the The Kirkcaldy and District Motor Club) got the bike sorted & everything else just need to get some tyres! What tyres would you recommend for me? Any replies would be greatly appreciated! biggrin
Cheers!
Lachie Innes #99
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: RACE TYRES - Best tyres for race track?

Post by cargo »

Knockhill..........................you'll only need one kind of tyre for there

WETS
Geffro

Post by Geffro »

Yeh would have guessed that! lol Any make/model stand out from the rest? Bridgestones any good?
Lachie Innes #99
Geffro

Post by Geffro »

Also they have to be allowed to be used for racing in the formula 400 class?
Lachie Innes #99
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I use Pirelle super corsa what ever they are called nowdays....................I use the soft compound on my ZXR and have NO issues with them at all
I like how they steer and the grip is awesome...............they come in dry wet and rain.............. I've never used the rain ones

I wont use the Bridgestones............because of price fixing here in Norn Iron
Robbie
My Bike: zxr400

Post by Robbie »

Hey we only had 2 wet races that I can remember at Knockers this year. :tease
Good to see more guys coming into the 400's its the biggest class :smt006
As for tyres Its all down to personel opinion you will maybe just have to try a few and see what you like.But you wont go wrong with Pirelli diablo supercorsas but of course they are the most expensive about £250ish.If you are just starting out then you could try used tyres you will get them at the meets for about £60.and would prob last a few races.thats what I used last year for my first season.
Are you doing the melville championship at east fortune too?
Cheers.
Geffro

Post by Geffro »

Sound, I noticed there are plenty of second hand ones on ebay, I'll have a look. You definately cant use slicks can you, they have to be road legal? Well this was one of the things that confused me? Do I have to join both clubs as they are both part of the scottish championships, but dont race together? Or do they both have there own league? :? I'm new to all this! lol Do you prefer Knockhill or East Fortune?

Cheers!

*EDIT*
Just checked, I've got the standard Pirelli Diablo's on the bike the now, not the supercorsa's unfortunately. How will these hold up tho?
Last edited by Geffro on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lachie Innes #99
Geffro

Post by Geffro »

Also 120/60 or 120/70? Whats your thoughts?
cargo wrote:I use Pirelle super corsa what ever they are called nowdays....................I use the soft compound on my ZXR and have NO issues with them at all
I like how they steer and the grip is awesome...............they come in dry wet and rain.............. I've never used the rain ones

I wont use the Bridgestones............because of price fixing here in Norn Iron
How many race days do you get out of the soft compound? Also Cargo the New supercorsa's are called "Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa Pro"

Cheers
Lachie Innes #99
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

aye, no slicks in formula 400 racing. Well most clubs anyhow. I think you can use them at Bemsee? not sure tbh, maybee thundersportgb too...
Most people use diablo supercorsa pro, some dudes still using the older dragon supercosa pros.
Like said tho, very pricey. If you can get em for 250, thats a good price. At a race meeting you may pay a bit over 300 quid...
I tried the new michelin power ones last meeting, and thought they where ok. I had a bad race, off pace and crashed.. but nowt to do with tyres! worth a look and a lot cheaper.
If you want very good supercorsa pro scrubs i have a set left, maybee two sets from this season.

oh, and you want the 120/70 front not the 120/60, as you wont get the front end contact you want.
the best way to go is sc1 soft front sc2 medium rear. thats what most use. You may find you want a softer rear or harder front when you get a feel for em.

have you just bought that orange bike off ebay?
Last edited by jake on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robbie
My Bike: zxr400

Post by Robbie »

The Kdmc and melville club run there own f400 championship.To be in the kdmc club championship you have to join the club.The melville club run a club championship aswell as an open championship if you dont join the club you will only get points for the open.Still follow :smt017
The tyres have to be road legal no slicks.I prefer the melville club and east fortune circuit.but do both. if you need more info give me a shout.cheers.
Geffro

Post by Geffro »

jake wrote:aye, no slicks in formula 400 racing. Well most clubs anyhow. I think you can use them at Bemsee? not sure tbh, maybee thundersportgb too...
Most people use diablo supercorsa pro, some dudes still using the older dragon supercosa pros.
Like said tho, very pricey. If you can get em for 250, thats a good price. At a race meeting you may pay a bit over 300 quid...
I tried the new michelin power ones last meeting, and thought they where ok. I had a bad race, off pace and crashed.. but nowt to do with tyres! worth a look and a lot cheaper.
If you want very good supercorsa pro scrubs i have a set left, maybee two sets from this season.

oh, and you want the 120/70 front not the 120/60, as you wont get the front end contact you want.
the best way to go is sc1 soft front sc2 medium rear. thats what most use. You may find you want a softer rear or harder front when you get a feel for em.

have you just bought that orange bike off ebay?
yeh got it on eBay, it's from cruden bay/Peterhead.

How much would you be wanting for the tyres & are they wets? Also how many race days would you expect to get out of a tire? Also I don't suppose theres facilities for fitting tyres at the tracks are there or do most people buy an extra set of wheels with dry tyres fitted on them for example?

Cheers mate
Last edited by Geffro on Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lachie Innes #99
Geffro

Post by Geffro »

Robbie wrote:The Kdmc and melville club run there own f400 championship.To be in the kdmc club championship you have to join the club.The melville club run a club championship aswell as an open championship if you dont join the club you will only get points for the open.Still follow :smt017
The tyres have to be road legal no slicks.I prefer the melville club and east fortune circuit.but do both. if you need more info give me a shout.cheers.
so would me doing the kdmc races & Melville open races be enough, or should I really be doing all the Melville races, I wouldn't mind joining both?

Also do you use hh brake pads or gg brake pads?

I've so many questions! Lol

cheers for the help guys!
Lachie Innes #99
-GQ-

Post by -GQ- »

jake wrote:aye, no slicks in formula 400 racing. Well most clubs anyhow. I think you can use them at Bemsee? not sure tbh,
Nope, no slicks in F400 at Bemsee. They did in Supersport 400 days, but that was last run in 2007 I think (before I started).
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Ballsout Racing »

Bemsee SBK400 was run in 2006 and 2007 and that was the only time slicks were allowed, didn't really make any difference to lap times though :smt002 Most lap record were broken in 2008 with Prelli sper corsa Pros I beleive.

I tried the Michelin Power ones this year, the front was imense, I could really take the piss with it, rear was also very good but I had tyre wear problems, never got it sorted before my crash/injury :smt012
-GQ-

Post by -GQ- »

Ballsout Racing wrote: I tried the Michelin Power ones this year, the front was imense, ... rear was also very good but I had tyre wear problems,
Ditto. I'm changing back to Pirelli this weekend.