New Rear Tyre

Moderator: Moderators

diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

New Rear Tyre

Post by diesel »

ok guys. this is actually for my zx7rr but i cant get onto the forums over there to ask, so ill ask you guys.

rear tyre is worn, its an avon av60. i do a twofer. ie ill buy a new set of tyres and then get through 2 rears before changing the front as well. well, the av60 didnt last long at all and i want to replace it with a dual compound tyre so it lasts longer as i many many miles upright lol. is it ok to have different makes etc on the back and all that.

you see what im getting at lol. advice????????
Quicker Than Yngwie

SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Re: New Rear Tyre

Post by SOILZX »

Most people i've spoke to on the subject seem to think it's a bad idea that will end in certain death??!! I ran odd tyres on my old Gixxer 7550 SRAD (Metzeler Rennsport on the front and Michelin Pilot Sport on the rear) and apart from the Michelin Pilot being a pile of toad, i ever had any problems. My current 400 is also on odd tyres, both bridgestones, bt014 on rear and 010 on front, also seems fine but have got a fresh set for new year. At the end of the day, it's down to you, but i've not experienced problems (perhaps i dont ride fast enough??!!)
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
Definitive mechanics toolkit: A hammer and a condom,
If it can't be fixed with a hammer, f*** it!!
Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Jeppo »

I think thats just it, they will be absolultely fine on your average day to day riding, but when you start cranking it over with tyres that weren't designed to be used together it can become unbalanced. I have never run odd tyres myself so this is purely what i've heard/read from others.... but i think it makes sense geek
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

i dont ride like a totol loon. i have 2mm of spare tread left on the side of me tyres. maybe ill just get a same as replacement there are no doubts
Quicker Than Yngwie