what tires should i get?

Moderator: Moderators

diablo23
My Bike: Black ZXR400 L9

what tires should i get?

Post by diablo23 »

Recently bought a ZXR400 and it needs new tires should i go with sports tires or sports touring? , ill really only be riding in the dry and will be a mix of short trips around the back roads with maybe a few longer motorway type ones on occasion?

Any thoughts

cheers
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: what tires should i get?

Post by CaNsA »

BT090 matey,

120/60/17 front and 160/60/17 for the rear :D
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
diablo23
My Bike: Black ZXR400 L9

Post by diablo23 »

thanks , got some Pirelli Diablo in that size should be ok right ?

get good reviews
rickyt28
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L5

Post by rickyt28 »

I bought a diablo for the rear last week because of good reviews off everyone, most people seem to rate them highly. Not used mine enough yet though (scrubbed it in on sunday) to give a sufficient review.
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Post by gavinfdavies »

I vote pirrellis, in particular to diablo supercorsa.

I know it may be THE raciest tyre out there, but it's designed for 180bhp track bikes. Stick it on a 70bhp zxr400 and you'll get beautiful feedback, not twitching over lines and groves in the road, more grip than you can use (tip - tape knee sliders to your indicators and bar ends, just kidding!) yet with remarkably good mileage. I got about 3500 out of my last rear, but the front was illegal by 2500, and had lost most of its tread completely by 3000 (ahem, naughty me) so go for medium compound rear, hard front. Oh, and I thrash my bike hard. Run them at 30psi both ends too, helps keep them grippy.

Avoid metzelers, my new ones track groves and road lines REALLY badly. Wet grip is good, and you can feel every piece of grit, but that gives you an idea of how bad the grove-tracking is! i've even started memorising where the groves are on my 30 miles commute!
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).