Moderator: Moderators

grovenik
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr400 h

what tyres?

Post by grovenik »

Hi people how are we?
I need some advice on what tyres are best on a H2, im not after all out performance just want something good.
thanks in advance
Paul
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Re: what tyres?

Post by extonyg »

everyone has different opinions on tyres...i currently have maxxis supersports fitted to my road bike and i think there great, ive never tried them out in the wet but great for sunny days and plenty of grip to get you knee down and pegs!
i think they are well priced as well...i think i paid £150 for pair i cant remember was a while ago.all depends what type of riding you do and how far you push the bike.
(by the way those chicken strips are no longer there as in the picture, the picture was taken after just riding bike back from garage)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Dunlop sportmax Roadsmarts

Had them on te CBR for the past few months, absoluty stunning.

Voted top in MCN and VD

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.eu/dunlop_u ... dsmart.jsp

But for pure social street racing/riding. you know what i mean

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.eu/dunlop_u ... ier_II.jsp

I had BT090 on the zxr400 last year, grippy as hell, but crap if it rains.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
cdstirland81
My Bike: ZXR400H1 and proud!

Post by cdstirland81 »

https://www.bctmotorcycles.co.uk/catalo ... voVJ3ZH4pb

as cheap as anywhere, then slip the local shop some cash to fit them!
ameteurs practice and train unitl they can do it, professionals practice and train until they cannot fail at it..
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Post by gavinfdavies »

so far my favourite has been pirrellis. I got the bike with a set of fully scrubbed (and snotted vsad ) supercorsa sc's, they're very expensive (think £350 per pair!) but are just beautiful. The tyres give plenty of feedback without twitching over white lines or imperfections, they warm up ok, and are surprisingly good in the wet, as good as a normal cheap tyre. but they're pricey, and mileage is limited. I scrapped 3500 out of them on medium compound front and rear, but the front went first, so i'd go for a hard front.

i'm currently running metzelers, m3 sportec i think, or maybe racetec. either way, their cold and wet weather performance is exceptional, but the feedback isn't so good, and they incredibly twitchy over lines, feels like the rear end jumps half an inch! Not particularly cheap, and not particularly brilliant.

I've just changed my other bike (gpz500) from bridestone bt45's, to pirrelli sport demons, their bt45 equivalent. they're a single compound crossply. They're a few bob more than the bt45, but the feel is a hell of alot better, and like the supercorsas, give lots of feedback without twitching over lines. Because of this similarity, i'd be tempted to say this is a pirrelli trait (after all, the two tyres are hardly close in their range, yet show good similarities), and as such would be tempted to try pirrelli Angel STs. I know these are sports touring tyres, but they're reknowned for giving great mileage, and are not amazingly pricey. but i've not tried them yet. but i will be!
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

i was going to find them but put on Pirelli Diablo stradas instead. As they were replaced by the angels they're dirt cheap, i mean like £75 for a rear cheap and i've never had a problem with them.
grovenik
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by grovenik »

thank you for all your help and advice. today i have purchased a set of maxxis supersports. these should be with me this weekend and fitted really soon.
The bike goes in next week for MOT then hopefull a few sunny days and ill get out and learn how to ride it properly.
thank you again
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

grovenik wrote:today i have purchased a set of maxxis supersports.
shocking

So you will be looking for a bunch of spare parts next week then?

The only way i would fit Maxxis rubber to my bike is,
1. I had an off-road bike (Maxxis do great offroad tyres)
2. Candice Collyer fitted them herself.

What was the reason you went for maxxis?
Price?
Availability?

Good luck,

Your gonna need it.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Post by gavinfdavies »

don't be so mean cansa...

I could do with a cheap restoration project! :pmsl

ps; never tried maxxis, so couldn't comment!
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Tyres are a very subjective topic that which works for one person wont for another

There have been world champions that totally struggled on a new brand of tyre to that which they are used to and like.

I swear by Pirellis and Metzellers and I wont have anything else on my race bikes. When I started I used Dunlop 364s and 207s but I borrowed some Pirellis at the Manx one evening and knocked over a minute off my lap times....................never looked back since
grovenik
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by grovenik »

hi
i chose the maxxis because heard that they were good and reasonalby priced. im not really a quick rider and dont really get to use the bike that much because of work and the usuall things that get in the way.

They have got to be better then the tyres that are on there, think that they are about 8 year old pirellis, they passed last years MOT and never got round to replacing them last year.

Ill give them a try and keep you up dated, if they are no good then ill just replace them, but as the saying goes youll never find out unless you try.

geek
yingding
My Bike: l2 / green white blue

Post by yingding »

i'm considering the avon viper sports after a fella on performance bikes forum telling me he loved his for being good enough to scrape pegs whilst getting 7k outa the last set !