Maxxis Sport Tyres

Moderator: Moderators

zxrjamiel9
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 L9

Maxxis Sport Tyres

Post by zxrjamiel9 »

Hello all i am looking for some advice on these tyres,

As anybody had them on a zxr400? if so what mileage did you get how are they in the dry also the wet?
do they warm up quite cool down quick. Have they got good grip in corners?

Or my other options are bridgestone bt016's as my mate said they are great also seen him in front of me put them on at local bike shop then he did not mean to but got his knee down in damp conditions he said it felt right and bike looked smooth and stable. these are about £160 to £180

but back to the maxxis are looking like a good deal on ebay £140 for the pair brand new with a warranty etc £6 p+p but the tread pattern looks good to me too.
link .....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZXR400-90-02-Maxx ... 5197a7194b

Thanks Jamie
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Re: Maxxis Sport Tyres

Post by extonyg »

ive got these tyres fitted to my bike, i think there great they warm up pretty quick and have loads of grip in the dry plenty enough to get your knee and pegs down if you dare.ive not tried them in the wet as i only go out for a 'play' when the weather is nice,they feel pretty stable even if the weather is a bit cold and the odd damp patch though. i dont really no about mileage as they have only had 1000miles if that use but seem to be wearing nicely.
this picture was taken after riding the bike home from getting them fitted....chicken strips are long gone now..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zxrjamiel9

Post by zxrjamiel9 »

Hey,

thanks for the info mate tyre looks good and might after try them just like to know about the milage and wet weather riding too,
Do you know what compound they are?? single duel or triple?? and can you tell me if there soft med or hard?
thanks Jamie
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

You are going to want more of a tread if you are gonna ride in the wet.

dunlop roadsmarts are what i have on the cbr, and used on the zxr in the past.
Triple compound
Sports Touring
Awesome in the wet
never slipped out on me
voted top by visorDown and MCN

Cracking tyres, and FWIW i wouldnt touch maxxis with some-one elses barge pole.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

haha i must admit i wasnt keen on buying maxxis for a roadbike i no there great for offroad tyres but after talking to a friend who is a bike mechanic he said they have really come up in the world in road tyres and have good feedback from people using them and convinced me to buy them...........and yes i dont think they would be very good in the wet and i dont no what compound they are.
im no rossi but they give me plenty of grip for knee and peg downs and i dont go out in the wet so doesnt bother me but i have never tried michelins or pirellis, i had dunlops on before and hated them but everyone has there own personal preference next time i might buy some pirellis so i can compare.
zxrjamiel9

Post by zxrjamiel9 »

Thanks for that info mate im keen to try the battle axe bt016 but the maxxis was an option too,
i also have no other transport at the min so its bus or bike for me bus pass is limited so its bus bike or walk but every one gets caught in the rain at some point vsad.
Jamie
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Meself, I never touch anything but Pirellis. I've tried Dunlops - perfectly ok but not the best IMO, Bridgestones - hmm, not bad but didn't float my boat, Metzelers - bloody awful, about as stable as a box of frogs. Never tried Michelin but I've been put off by poor reports. Pirellis have always been a top tyre in wet and dry for me, they feel rock solid planted and have never done anything unexpected. Once you find a brand which you trust 100% there's no point swapping.

So, I'd recommend that if you get a chance in future that you try a set. I'm just about to have a set of Diablos fitted and will be most surprised if they disappoint.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
zxrjamiel9

Post by zxrjamiel9 »

Hey.
i have heard bad things about Diablos in the wet but there not bad in the dry but corsa 3's are not bad has they have a triple compound but sont know what there like for lasting,
i have only run on battle axe 010's and they were amazing tyre so much confidence even in the wet but there dicontinues and the 014 has taken over them but the bt016 is the daddy just dont know what there like on a zxr400,
i have run on avon vp2 i did not rate them there decent in dry as there a soft compound and not all that good in wet, same with race pilots.
so i amyet to find a tyre that i trust 100% but the 010's
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Seriously mate,

Go for the Dunlop Roadsmarts.
I have bullied loadsa people into getting them and they have been well pleased with the results.

Hard in the centre, slight softer towards the edge, epic soft and grippy on the edge.
Ive had mine edge to edge, and i think ill have to change the profile of the tyre this summer otherwise ill lay the bike on its side due to leaning too far :D

trust me mate, you wont regret it.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Well, I suppose it depends who you are listening to. If you do a search on here for 'Diablos' you'll read lots of ZXR400 riders rave about them wet and dry. Yer pays your money and takes yer choice........ :smt002
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Lewis400
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by Lewis400 »

Anyone else bought these?
Im thinking of ordering some, i have maxxis on my car & van, so i thought might be cool to have on the bike aswell lol

I like the tread pattern on them, and theyre at a decent price.

I want be different aswell.