Rear sprocket bearing.. Still serviceable?

Moderator: Moderators

shredtheibanez
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Rear sprocket bearing.. Still serviceable?

Post by shredtheibanez »

Hello all!

Okay so the story goes I got my zxr400 in bits, started rebuilding and was unhappy, stripped it entirely and rebuilt it from stratch. I'm yet to post a build thread but this is what happened when you fit a bearing (supplied in the box by the last owner)

Luckily I had it on paddock and was running through the gears (after a gearbox strip) and heard this horrendous bang. No
Idea why it collapsed, all torqued to 110 with spacers in.. The only thing I could think is that the spacers were used to protect the inner 'bore' of the caliper carrier so got powdercoated on the running edge. Since I have removed all powdercoating from the spacers :/

Thought I'd share :)

Ryan
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Rear sprocket bearing.. Still serviceable?

Post by cargo »

Could it be that you forgot the spacer the fits to the inside of the sprocket carrier ?

item 42036 in here

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/images/Lseries/lrearwheel.gif
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Post by gavinfdavies »

haha, looks like one of mine! Happened on the motorway. Rear end felt like a bag of shite. I figured i might try to crawl the last little bit home... 10 meters later I gave up and rang the breakdown people. When i go the bike home I found that 2 out of 3 rear bearing had blown, one ball bearing being flat and an inch long!
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Blimey!

Cargo, i think the wheel would have been all over the place without that spacer? Probably just the one in 1 million bearing that went wrong. Did you have the middle spacer fitted? 92143A in cargos link. Im sure leaving that out can put huge strain on the bearing.