Wheel bearing and spacer ..

Moderator: Moderators

dan
My Bike: tomos moped

Wheel bearing and spacer ..

Post by dan »

Hi all, I don't really come in here much, as sold my ZXR years ago, but (wait for it) am still looking after the wife's ZXR 400.

Basically, about 3 years ago I had a new front wheel bearing fitted by the mechanic when I went for an MOT (stood and watched them do it, so I know they did), as old one was shot.

3 years on and I would estimate less than 600 miles later, bearing has gone again.

Same mechanic has suggested that the spacer in the front axle assembly may have worn slightly as it's aluminium, and with it possibly being now a little short, this can cause excessive wear on the bearings as in effect they are drawn in as you tighten the whole assembly up.

I trust the mechanic 100%.

Is the part that he's referring to then 921443B from the exploded diagrams, and can anyone suggest a good bearing supplier, who could get the bearings here for tomorrow/friday morning?
Also, a South London supplier who may have said spacer in stock, as now Wheel Power has closed down (Kwak dealership), I'm struggling for Kwak dealers?

My bad - ZXR L1 model :smt006

Thanks

Dan
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Re: Wheel bearing and spacer ..

Post by cargo »

Cradley Kawasaki.................it's at the top of the page just look

They should have what you need and if they dont they will get it for you
dan

Post by dan »

Cheers - ordered by Cradley, via Kwak warehouse in the Netherlands - 4+ day wait, but there we are. :smt016

Thanks
dan

Post by dan »

Update on the resolution.

The front end of the o/h's bike had a noticeable *clonk* when braking and particularly when going over speed bumps. :smt012

After some intial inspection by Russel Motors (see below) they advised that there was play in the front wheel, and advised new bearings.
The existing bearings had been fitted only 3 years before, and had done less than 1000 miles in that time, so I was dubious that it was strictly a bearing issue.

It was originally Mike (of twins Mike and John) who suggested that I investigate the spacer, as he had once had a fireblade in which had worn the wheel spacer enough, to mean that the bearings were not sitting where they ought to be, and causing excessive wear.

Got the spacer from Kawasaki, and some bearings, and toddled off to the most fantastic bike mechanics in London http://www.russellmotors.co.uk/.

Stripping the wheel, there was some swarf on the speedo drive-side of the wheel which had evidently come from the speedo drive itself getting slightly mashed (not too bad) :smt018 Cleaned that out, and cleaned up the speedo drive.

The existing bearings however, seemed sound (before and after knocking them out). :smt017

We were at a bit of a loss at this point as to what was wrong, when we compared the new Kwak spacer side by side with the old one.
Not only were they made of different materials (not a problem) but the new spacer was around 4-5mm longer than the one that was in the front wheel. shocking

There was no signs of wear on the old spacer, so it hadn't shortened or anything.

Put it all back together (after some doubt as to whether the new spacer was too long), and it all bolted snugly back into place.

In short, what appears to have happened is that at some point in the past probably when getting bearings fitted, the wrong spacer has been put back in the front wheel, and the whole front wheel was shifting in the forks causing the knocking sound :ffs

I could have spent the next few years 'shelling' out for bearings every few thousand miles, had it not been for the very astute insight of Russel Motors

Top recommendation for them! :smt004