wheel balancing

Moderator: Moderators

parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

wheel balancing

Post by parby81 »

For those that change and balance their own wheels.

Iv always done mine with the brake discs left on, and for the rear, the rear sprocket and cush drive also left on, as I always figured that it would be better to have the whole rotating mass balanced. However I have recently been told that reall everything should be taken off, brake discs and all.

What are others thoughts, how do you do yours?
These things are sent to try us!!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: wheel balancing

Post by cargo »

Mine are always done with discs on.............but I do the rear with sprocket carrier and cush drive removed

Truth be told rear is not so important as the front.........................
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

I've never seen anyone remove discs for balancing, rear cush and sprocket have always been removed.
Robbie
My Bike: zxr400

Post by Robbie »

I dont usually bother balancing tyres.never had a problem so far.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Why would you remove the discs? If you do you get a perfectly balanced wheel then go and unbalance it by adding discs and putting it on the bike :smt017

If you don't bother to balance the wheel it won't kill you but you will be putting wear on the bearings. Plus the handling will be upset to a degree at higher speeds. Wheels are balanced for a very good reason. Why would you not do it for the piddling amount of time / cost involved compared to what the tyre sets you back?
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Robbie
My Bike: zxr400

Post by Robbie »

Why would you not do it for the piddling amount of time / cost involved compared to what the tyre sets you back?
Dont have balancer!
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

I've driven a car with no weights on the wheels and by fook that got scarry above 50mph with vibrations and shoogle , would not wont to experience that on a bike.

For the first time ever I don't have any on the ZXR , the BT21s with the weight dot opposite the valve are perfect and needed nothing. Over time I have noticed lots of cars & bikes where this marker hasn't been taken into consideration and all have weights on them. Many years ago I was told if you put it opposite the valve (that's it's intended position) and it doesn't balance you can shift it left or right according to what's needed but shops are lazy so bung a bit of lead on and charge you for it instead of cracking the bead and shifting the weight of the tyre.

The other easy money of course is a new valve every tyre change :smt005 Their quality must be piss poor :pmsl

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

The white dot marks the point in the tyres construction where the overlap is in the thread and internal components.

It does not always mean that the wheel will be balanced if it is lined up opposite the valve................. weights may still be needed