Moderator: Moderators

TWxROCKY
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 L3

Best tyres for ZXR 400 L3??

Post by TWxROCKY »

Hey everyone,

Just Bought myself my first big bike a Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 and I'm wondering what are the best rear tyres you can put on?

Cheers.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Best tyres for ZXR 400 L3??

Post by cargo »

I'd go for the black round ones if I was you
TWxROCKY
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 L3

Post by TWxROCKY »

Oh what! I heard the square one's were better :/
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

First thing you need to realise is that tyres are designed to work as a pair. Mixing brands / models of tyres front and rear rarely works and is frequently nasty. So don't think about just changing a rear unless you are going to put the matching tyre to the front on it, you need to have a matched pair.

Personally I recommend Pirelli Diablos. I've had several versions of Pirelli tyres on bikes over the years and have never been disappointed. I've also had Bridgestones, Dunlops and Metzelers and whilst some were better than others I wouldn't use anything other than Pirellis unless I got my arm seriously twisted.

But you also need to be aware that tyres are a personal thing. They all offer different types of feel and different tyres suit different riders. Even racers will tell you this - some hate Michelins, for example, some love them.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Also think about what your using the bike for. Communting up the motorway is no good on super soft tyres. Equally, touring tyres are no good for a bike your just having a mess around on.

Personally, i like Avons Viper Sports tyres on mine, best tyres ive ever ridden on, but thats just me. Like tirpitz said, they are a personal thing.
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

RedexRobB wrote:Also think about what your using the bike for. Communting up the motorway is no good on super soft tyres. Equally, touring tyres are no good for a bike your just having a mess around on.

Personally, i like Avons Viper Sports tyres on mine, best tyres ive ever ridden on, but thats just me. Like tirpitz said, they are a personal thing.
sorry hijack!

worth looking in to? as i've seen a set part worn!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

Tirpitz wrote:First thing you need to realise is that tyres are designed to work as a pair. Mixing brands / models of tyres front and rear rarely works and is frequently nasty. So don't think about just changing a rear unless you are going to put the matching tyre to the front on it, you need to have a matched pair.

Personally I recommend Pirelli Diablos. I've had several versions of Pirelli tyres on bikes over the years and have never been disappointed. I've also had Bridgestones, Dunlops and Metzelers and whilst some were better than others I wouldn't use anything other than Pirellis unless I got my arm seriously twisted.

But you also need to be aware that tyres are a personal thing. They all offer different types of feel and different tyres suit different riders. Even racers will tell you this - some hate Michelins, for example, some love them.
diablo rosso II's on mine...lovely tyre!
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

got supercorsa's on mine - love them that much i ran them into slicks lol
Blaine zxr
My Bike: Zxr 400 L5

Post by Blaine zxr »

I'll add a question if i may, just bhought michelin power pilots any on here have run them before ? What's your views on them ? I no tyres are a personal thing but just curious if there was a bad review/ experience on here about them. oldman
:excited :pmsl
Myth Hall
My Bike: 2000 Kawasaki ZRX

Post by Myth Hall »

The first thing which appears on the Google search results is Michelin Pilot Road 2. I have not tried to run such a model on my ZXR before, but it has good reviews online.

Recently, I installed Pirelli Diablo Rosso II on my motorbike, and so far I am impressed by its exceptional grip. I bought it at 4wheelonline a couple of months ago because it's at a 25% discount.