zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 03 Z1000

Speedo problem

Post by psychopaulgtr »

my speedo has suddenly stopped working so it could be either
the speedo cable
the speedo drive

i checked the cable and it turns fine at both ends but when the bottom end is plugged into the drive it does not turn when the bike is moving.

so it must be the speedo drive, it so happens that i have a spare one of these. i am a real bike novice and i have never taken the front wheel off before im sure this is easy but i really dont know how its done so i would be greatful if someone could post a simple guide on what to do and how the speedo drive fits.

im mostly botherd with putting the wheel back on properly is there anything i need to check or is there any thing i can clean or lube while the wheel is off?

thanks
There's a little bit of Psycho in all of us
1997 ZXR 400 L5 SOLD 2006 ZX-6R Write-Off 2003 Z1000 happy as a pig in muck
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

To change the drive obviously you gotta take the wheel off. Problem is, is getting the wheel in the air, if you have a front paddock stand your fine, otherwise you could just lift the front of the bike by tying it to the beams of a roof if you have one.

Once you managed that, undo the pinchbolts at the front of the forks at the botttom, this then allows the front spingdle to be undone. You need a couple of big allen keys, sizes of which i forget now :smt017 Dont take the spindle out just yet, you need to take off the front calipers if you wanna take the wheel out completely. If you dont take them off the wheel will get stuck and probably scratch your wheels. Its just a case of undoing the the two caliper bolts and they will slide off. Then just slide the front spindle out. The drive should just pull off, you might have to give it a twist. You might wanna bung some grease in the new drive but i think its sealed so might wanna leave it. Itll be here you wanna check that the cable turns so check that then.

Now just put the lot back together, remember which spacer went what side also! Its a bit fiddly getting it in so see if you can get someone to give you a hand. Do up the spindle and then the pinchbolts. Then put calipers back on, you might wanna prise the pads apart slightly to make putting them back on easier, dont use a screwdriver or anything try and do it with your hands! Put them back on, torque up the caliper bolts and give the front brake lever a few squeezes until its back to normal.

And you should be well away! :)
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Xphyral »

i use a pair of palette knives to prise my pads apart, just taking care when sliding them through, then i can just pull em apart nice and easy.

and i have same problem btw, i just cba changing the drive till closer to mot time

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
zxaaahhhhh

Post by zxaaahhhhh »

do you need the speedo working for the mot?i thought they didnt check it
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

they cant do given they don't ride the bike anywhere.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Xphyral »

dunno, but i like to make sure everything is road worthy for my MoT's

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
stonedoncalpol

Post by stonedoncalpol »

nah will pass without it.
Bestie
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Bestie »

EASY PAUL,

if your stuck up the creek mate, why dont you fly down to mine one evening? ive got both paddosck stands and plenty of copper grease and racing grease, should be a doddle to fit the new speedo drive with 2 of us, just dont forget your boiler suit!

my speedo suddenly stpped on the motorway, i thought passing an m3 i cant be doing 0 mph, turns out when i got home the actual cable had snapped inside as it just fell out!

give us a shout or pm me mate and well arrange a time, failing that i spose i cold chuck my gear in the van and come to you (ooer!)

i expect a chrimbo card in return!

Bestie