Bridgestone S20

Moderator: Moderators

kilburn
My Bike: tomos moped

Bridgestone S20

Post by kilburn »

Any one using these new S20 tyres?
http://www.superbike.co.uk/viewers/view ... l+trackday.+
The write up sounds good and VR is on the video.......... i'm almost sold.

3 track days a year and the rest is weekend warrior plus trip to france

any better options out there?
EvilSpike
My Bike: ZXR 400 L8

Re: Bridgestone S20

Post by EvilSpike »

At Snetterton back in June I turned up on the Saturday with some R10's fitted to the ZX6R and some new S20's I'd bought from Watling tyres in Canterbury for £230.

Track was damp and it was drizzling on and off so swapped out the R10's for the S20's. Got them nice and warm over the lunch break as the rain had stopped and a dryish line was forming, then took them out for a few slow laps getting the release compound off. Very nice tyres, felt stable whilst turn in was pleasantly progressive. Dropped the pressures to 32psi front and rear hot and then just kept speeding up, braking later and deeper into corners pushing them and they continued to feel stable and confidence inspiring despite the track still being damp.

Sunday was open pit and predominantly dry, cold but with the occasional spot of drizzle. Black socks, white pants, both from M&S. Ended up doing 200 miles around the circuit (65 laps) which would have been more if not for eating through a set of brake pads and not once did I ever run out of grip despite running in far too hot into Riches and off the fully dry line a number of times. I felt more confident to push the bike and ask more from the tyres of these than the R10's I had on at a very hot Anglesey PB day a few weeks before. Not once did I get any complaints from the tyres and I'm running out of ground clearance now rather than grip so a very, very big thumbs up from me.

Started the day doing 2m 30s laps, by 5pm I was consistently putting in 2m 22s laps.

However... I was on S20's at cadwell in July when I lobbed it at the scenery. I think, and I'm not sure, that I got on the power too early and lost the back. I don't think I had any warning, however it's much more likely I wasn't listening to the tyre. Opposite me were two young lads (17ish maybe?) on identical R6's one who highsided himself was also on S20's. He said the tyre just let go, no warning. His brother was on an identical bike and pace (very quick), but using Pirelli tyres.

I've heard a couple of similar tales I'm starting to think that these S20's aren't up to track use...
kilburn

Post by kilburn »

so the tyres started good and then went bad was there somthing on the track ?
would you get the S20 again or something else?
kilburn

Post by kilburn »

I just read a two part review in performance bikes which ranked the s20 high on the road but low on the track so i have been put off buying these.
They also mentioned slides at the start and end of the track day session.
tomrowley20287
My Bike: zxr400 h1

Post by tomrowley20287 »

I spoke to Alistair Fagan at Castle Coombe last week and he was describing how they let go with no warning.

I used Continental Race Attack on the big bike and they were fantastic all day