Old tyres with tread

Moderator: Moderators

GibboN
My Bike: ZXR400 M4 ('94)

Old tyres with tread

Post by GibboN »

Hey guys!

Been lurking in the shadows for quite a while but finally got the bike up and running and it's fueling my curiosity...

Picked the bike up last night and apart from the work they did the dealership had some advice for me- they've told me the tyres are 9 years old but that the tread is still good, probably from a lack of use (94 bike 11,000km). As the rubber has aged though it's hardened and they've advised I fork out £315 for new tyres front and back.

They've told me that in the dry I should have no problem but the harder rubber isn't going to perform in the wet and that I should try and replace them within the next 6 months.

Has anyone a similar experience or any advice? I know the tyres are one of the most important features on the bike but I've just yesterday dropped £540 getting her cleaned up and running smooth.

Thanks guys. Love the site and loving my new(-ish) bike! :excited
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Re: Old tyres with tread

Post by bendog66 »

I wouldn't want to run 9 year old tyres...
GibboN

Post by GibboN »

Been googling and reading about tire aging and gassing- have asked my dealership for more information about the tyres they provide. I'll be using the old tyres this week but will try and get them replaced within two weeks from now.
GibboN

Post by GibboN »

Just as a follow up, turns out my tyres are only 2 years old. The shop (registered kwakka dealership confuddled) got the tyre serial number and manufacture numbers mixed up. They explained themselves by saying the tyres are dual compound and the harder centre line rubber threw them.

So glad I took the time to read up and check before handing the bike over...