Moderator: Moderators

Jack94x
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 2002 ZXR 400 L9

Dunlop Sportsmart 2?

Post by Jack94x »

Hi,
I need to buy a new set of tyres for my L9 soonish as they're starting to run a little low on tread. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Dunlop Sportsmart 2? They look pretty good to me for overall performance balanced between grip in the wet & dry and a decent miles expectancy. What's everyone else running on their ZXR's? And which brand/model tyres have you guys found to be best?
Cheers.
Jack
Cheers.
Jack
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Re: Dunlop Sportsmart 2?

Post by KwakKwak »

Supercorsa pros, i wouldn't get too brave in the wet on them though, but my bike is a big wuss and stays home when it's wet, as for wear I don't expect to get alot, the more summer grip the less wear, don't matter, I get REGULAR free deliveries of them, got a nice rear in the attic.
Ran Dunlops on a Scooby once, they were bloody good actually, buggers stopped making them, and I know that is a useless bit of info for your bike, but I loved those tyres :smt010
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

I use Pirelli Supercorsa's at the moment, I came from using Dunlop 209, reason for the switch was that the supercorsas were there and I needed a new set, the 209s were discontinued too, really liked them, not massively keen on them in the wet and prefer dunlops in the wet, Dunlop mileage is a little better too I found
Jack94x
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jack94x »

Cheers for the help guys!
I've had a little look at the Supercorsas online and most of the reviews I've read pretty much say that they're outstanding in the dry however can be a little temperamental in the wet. Although I don't plan on ever riding in the rain really because I've got a car for commuting; I'm still a little hesitant because after all its quite easy to get caught out by a sudden shower in sunny old England! :smt005
Looking on the Pirelli site the Rosso Corsas look a little more wet friendly though?
Cheers.
Jack
Cheers.
Jack
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

Pro bike testers will tend to use Pros on track then shift to Rossos for the road tests, obviously slightly more road friendly, the Pros tend to track any tarmac lines blemishes in the road etc, you get used to it, can be unnerving at first.
And for the car in the wet, ditto. Bikes meant to be fun.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Post by rover220 »

I've just fitted the sportmax sportsmart to the 7r. I've only done 50 miles so fat so not pushed on yet but early signs are promising.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

I had Dunlop roadsmarts on the cbr600f a few years back and they were awesome, i mean really really awesome.
Chucked them on the zxr400 last year and they were good, very very good.

Grippy enough for being a hooligan and good enough to not get wrecked on the motorway.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Jack94x
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jack94x »

Thanks for the input everyone :)
The feedback seems pretty positive so I think I'm going to give the Sportsmart 2's a try and I'll let you all know how I get on with them :smt023
Cheers.
Cheers.
Jack
rajrakhiria
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Post by rajrakhiria »

Just been 'window shopping' for a front tyre.......mine not completely illegal but close to the edge. At present front & rear Dunlop Sportmax (D207). Been told these are now discontinued vsad (I love the tyre), great in the wet. But like everything else there's always a newer model. Still looking at same brand, however D208, now called 'Qualifier' (£76) or Sportsmart 2 (£97)!

I don't do much annual mileage, and ride consistently on the road in the dry (without knee sliding) and not much wet rides. However I do anticipate my first track day next year (awaiting 'Mrs Approval').

My question to the board is......is there really much difference between the 2? The guy at the reputable tyre sales said the compound materials are of a higher standard. I know it's only a difference of £21 however as the 'Tesco' strap line says 'every little helps'!

oldman
Jack94x
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jack94x »

Personally I've been getting on really well with the Sportsmart 2, I don't have any experience with the 1 to be able to compare it but I did quite a lot of research into different tyres before I bought mine and there are a few reviews on the internet like this one http://www.visordown.com/product-featur ... 23610.html that compare the old and new versions and are quite helpful. From what I read I think there is a lot of difference between them.

As far as a track day goes, again I don't have any personal experience but did research into this and I think that there are better tyres out there for that. The Sportsmart 2 is a great all round tyre that offers very good grip in both the dry and wet and is capable of getting a decent amount of mileage before being worn out. However I think that other tyres such as some of the Pirelli's are more track biased so they aren't so trustworthy in the wet and wear out quicker but are superior in terms of grip and feel in the dry.

Hope that helps :smt003
Cheers.
Jack