Strange noise and wheel alignment questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Trash500
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Strange noise and wheel alignment questions.

Post by Trash500 »

Hey all.
Hope your days good.

I have 2 questons for ya technical experts.

1. I think either a wheel bearing or some such is on the way out but need to no if there is any easy way to tell. Basically I get a whinning type noise about 30mph that goes and down in pitch with change of speed. I have adjusted my chain but am pretty sure its ok. No real slack but at lowest point it moves about 3/4" up and down.

2. After said chain adjustment was started I noticed after doing the r/h side I dont have notches on the left to judge how much I have moved the wheel back. I think I'm ok but cant afford a laser wheel alignment at the moment. Any easy way to check rear is in line with front and its true?

Thanks for the help and hope this weather keeps on. I love my bike
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Theres a couple of ways of lining up the rear, you could use a tape measure to measure the distance from the swingarm pivot to the rear spindle on each side, that should be accurate enough.

Another way i believe is using a few lengths of wood. What you do is get the bike upright and the front wheel pointing forwards. Then place the lengths of wood either side the rear wheel, best placed up against the face of the tyre wall so they are effectively on a flat surface (if you get that?)

The rear tyre is wider than the front so the lengths of wood are either side of the front wheel, then measure the distance of the lengths of wood from the front wheel tyre wall, if the distance is the same then the rear is straight, if not then it needs adjusting. Hope you understand that one :lol:
Trash500
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Trash500 »

Top ideas mate thanks... I will check it.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

so what happened to the notches then??
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Trash500
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Trash500 »

IM not sure They are there on the r/h side but not on the left. I think the aluminium square that the axle/spindle goes throught is perhaps the wrong way round. Next time I play with the chain I will take it off to check.
If I take the axle all the way out I'm guessing the wheel will be released. How hard is it to get it back in?

Plus if anyoone has ideas to the noise I would appreciate it.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

If you pull the spindle all the way out yes the real wheel will drop out. If you have it on a paddock stand, place something under the wheel to stop it dropping, that way the wheel wont go anywhere. It can be fiddly getting it back in with the spacers keep falling out :rolls:

The whining noise im not sure about, do you know exactly where its coming from? could be a bearing on its way out.
Trash500
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Trash500 »

yeah I think its front wheel but tough to say for sure... get somne guys to see this weekend
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

the noise could be your speedo drive?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Trash500
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Trash500 »

That would amke sense thinking about it. I sounds kinda like a gears type of noise and Im pretty sure unless a bearing has totally gone they are ok. It rides great and was only mot'd the other week and bearings were fine then.

Thanks for the help. Going to try to narrow it down tomorrow.