Rear wheel removal

Moderator: Moderators

fu77ier

Rear wheel removal

Post by fu77ier »

Took my wheel of to get some new tyres fitted and i now cant put it back together i even have the bloody kawasaki service manuel but sh*t for brains still cant do it.

Can anyone help i dont think i am putting the relevant spaces etc in the right place and even when i think it looks about right it seems like its gonna be a tight squeeze getting it in between the rear sub frame.

Fairly new rider so forgive the numptyness.

:smt017
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

hi mate, welcome to the forum :)

Has your swing arm been powder coated at all in the past? i had mine powder coated and it all became a real tight fit when i put it all together.

I found to get it in easier, was to put something under the tyre so the spindle hole will line up with the hole on the swinger, that way you just have to concentrate on gettin it in rather than trying to lift and line it up at the same time.

I also found that putting one of the spacers at a slight angle just to get it started inside the swinger, and then push the lot in. Failing that you could get someone to try and prise the swinger apart so you can get the wheel in.

give those a go mate and see how you go. :)
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

its a bloody tight fit mate and takes lots of practice, if you find you're losing your rag with it walk away for 5 mins and take a breather, it makes a world of difference, you need to lift the wheel with your foot under it works best and make sure its level otherwise you will catch the spacer and you start again.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
fu77ier

Post by fu77ier »

Thanks for the replies and yes walking away and coming back does help.

I sorted it last i started putting in all in so it fitted and was left with a spacer and after about 5 mins of pondering and looking at the manuel i found that it needed to go in between the sprocklet and wheel.

All finished now so just got to fill my coolant back up and the service is complete and hopefully should be on the road tomorow .

Many thanks again
SixOne
My Bike: ZXR400

Re: Rear wheel removal

Post by SixOne »

I'm in exactly the same situation, is the washer the same circumference around the outside but narrows in on the inside? About 8mm long? I came to the conclusion it went between the wheel and the sprocket but I don't wanna gamble on it incase, seems quite an important bit to put back together! Thanks, Tim
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: Rear wheel removal

Post by Miles »

I had this problem and had the service manual as well.

I ended up putting the spacer that wouldn't fit under the sprocket carrier( between the sprocket and the cush drive) Then my wheel went on.

Was still a tight fit. Havn't had any problems though