Avon Vipers

Moderator: Moderators

deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Avon Vipers

Post by deviant »

Well after about 6-7K miles the old Dunlop D207's were looking a bit square, so time for a change before the summer.

Fitted by MTS Nottingham. Thoroughly recommend them if you are local - good service, nice chat and even adjusted my chain for me.

http://mtsnottingham.co.uk/

£180 ride in ride out (normally would have taken loose wheels, but my fiancee's got the car and I wanted to get it done today).

Current mileage on the bike is about 14980. I'll report back on how long they last and how they stick!

Avon recommended tyre pressures are apparently 33 front and 36 rear.

Right then, time to go wear them in.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Ive got viper sports on my 7R, absolutely awsome tyre! The avon viper is a supposed to be a good tyre too. good choice :smt001
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by deviant »

yeah, I saw your thread when I was trying to decide which ones to go for, and to answer your question in there, they (obviously) do make them in the right size for the ZXR.

don't think I'm quite at the elbow down stage yet though :smt002

It's the viper sports that I've got (rather than the supersports or xtreme) so I guess that's the same as you've got?

middle of them is nicely scrubbed in now after a run to birmingham and back yesterday. just need to address the inch and a half of chicken strip now :smt012
In the garage:
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
insurerman
My Bike: tomos moped

Which Tyre

Post by insurerman »

Does anyone know if a 170 60 17 will fit on the zxr400? I know my brother fitted an oversized tyre on his zx6r and it was rubbing against the hugger.
billy big skid

Re: Avon Vipers

Post by billy big skid »

You'll get it to fit, but why balls up the handling? It'll turn better with a standard tyre on it. Totally agree with Vipers by the way, awesome tyres.
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by deviant »

Well they've done over 2000 miles now, and i've been over to within a couple of mm of both sides of both tyres - you just can't resist the urge to try and wear out the snakes heads moulded into the tyres near the edge :smt003

I've definitely got more confidence than I had on the old D207's, but I don't know how much of that is down to me being braver/more confident in my riding this year - It may well have been exactly the same if i'd just put some new dunlops on.

No sign of any sort of wear yet - and I've put quite a bit of straight line mileage on them.
In the garage:
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
f17th
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by f17th »

Sounds like a good tyre,

Might have to try them next, Im not really like the current tryes on my bike, they have a toad load of tread but I just havent got much confidence with them.
They dont seem like they are very sticky.

Shall find out what tyres are on the bike when I go down to the garage at the weekend.
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by deviant »

Another update.

The bike's on about 18,700 odd at the moment, so the tyres will have done 4000 miles by the time I roll into France on Wednesday afternoon, including two trackdays (one on Anglesey, which must be the most abrasive circuit known to man). Still plenty of tread left and no sign of squaring off.

However by the time I get back from Europe they will have done about 6500 miles, and I will be amazed (and very impressed) if they have much life left in them after that. I'll let you know.

Still very impressed with these tyres.
In the garage:
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

toad ! my alpha 10's are half fecked after 1 track day and about 600 road miles :(

grips nuts though :)
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by deviant »

Tyres taken off the bike a couple of weeks back with 21844 miles on the clocks.

I make that 6864 miles. The front was still legal, but the rear wasn't.

I replaced them with a set of part worn Supercorsas bought from a racer mate at work, partly because I had a trackday coming up but mostly because I'm too skint for new tyres at the moment.

Next time I stick a new pair of tyres on I'll be going with the Vipers again. Great tyres.
In the garage:
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Wow, always forgot to check the mileage on my 7R when i had them fitted. Thats not bad going tho!

got 090's on the ZXR at the moment, soon as they are worn im gonna give the Viper Sports a go.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Well they are now worn out and had viper sports fitted last thursday. Went out for a quick spin after picking it up and they feel very much the same as my 090's. Was expecting a difference in the turn in speed but hardly any difference, but when i look at the profile of the tyre they retty much the same.

Got out again on saturday with carlingboy and managed to scrub the last of the tyre sheen off, so are good to go for any angle i lke now, which i did, and have to say they feel very very positive. Lots of feedback, where i was kinda guessing with the 090's the vipers are talking to me and i know what they are up to, which means i have confidence. Mileage is just under 17k miles (got about just under 3K miles out of the 090's).