The big tyre debate

Moderator: Moderators

Full Tilt

The big tyre debate

Post by Full Tilt »

Hi all,

I am due for a change of tyres and have been running D207's which where ok but i want a change!

So which are the best for my '92 zxr 400

Diablo H Rated ?

Pirelli mtr01/02 ?

BT 014 ?

Or has any one got any other sugestions ?

All help and advice is much appreciated
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

deffo the diablo! :D
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

I can reccomend BT010's as i run a set of them before, ive now got BT090's fitted but till my bike gets fnished i couldnt tell what they are like, but all ive heard is good about them :) They are rated upto 400cc and are supposed to get sticky very quickly.
Spaceman
My Bike: zx6r

Post by Spaceman »

Apparantly those new Michelin Power Pilots are the bullocks my has them on His TL and loves them, thats not to say they would be as good on a small sports, but 010s seem popular on the 400s
Only Smarties have the answer ?
Full Tilt

Post by Full Tilt »

Also what kind of milage are people getting out of BT-090 'S on the road ?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Not sure wat mileage youd get out of em, depend on how you rode it really. Id imagine youd get a few thousand out of the rear at least.
Leemc2004
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Leemc2004 »

Whats a tyre I can get plenty of mileage out of? I've gone through a D207 Sportmax in 1000 miles! I dont burnout, I brought it new and its on the limiters already. My Pirelli's I had before lasted 2500 miles an I worn them down to the thread before changing.
1993 - ZXR400L2 - Matt Black - Gold Wheels - Scorpion System - Blueflame EVO Can - DynoJet Stage 1 - K&N Filtercharger - Skidmarx DB Screen.
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

You should be looking at around 3000 miles for a rear for most road tyres, with commuting and weekend naughtiness but no burnouts.

It could be you just got a softer tyre! it happens... I had a Challenger Tomahawk front that looked hardly worn even after around 16-20,000 miles!!! :shock:

You could always try a Michelin Mac 50 (or 90 if you can get the size). They lasted pretty well on my VFR750 and still had plenty of grip in wet and dry conditions. I wouldn't though.
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

zixxer

Post by zixxer »

I've had Macadam 100Xs on a ZXR250 / 400 (came with them on it). They do last quite long, they warm up fast and are very surefooted in the wet, but they don't get super snot sticky like some sportier tyres.

They're probably classed as sport/touring tyres
Irish Roads. Ribbed for your displeasure
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

I got BT 020's and they are fine for road riding, never let go even round the Nurburg ring. Never done a track day though. Crap for stoppies, just locks the front! Got em cause they were cheap and would last a long time!
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

BT57's worked great when I had my zxr....did god knows how many track days on them and they gave me every confidence
SIR (used to) CRASHALOT
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jamz »

I've got a D208 GP front at the moment. It's also a 120/70-17 which i've never tried before.

On the roads there's no real noticably faster turn-in, but it feels dead stable when banked right over around the Cloverleaf. Whether it's as good as or better than the Tomahawk i had is irrelevant, because it seems to do the job just fine!

Also tested it in heavy rain this morning when i came off an island pretty fast and there was a queue of traffic on a blind bend :shock: I had to brake harder than i'd have liked to, and it didn't seem in any danger of letting go in the slightest!

SimonH

Post by SimonH »

and it didn't seem in any danger of letting go in the slightest!
....never does until you're on your butt...trust me!
SIR (used to) CRASHALOT
Leemc2004

Post by Leemc2004 »

The D207 I have on the rear is the worst tyre in the wet I've have on the ZXR, I've had Bridgstones and Pirelli's on there before. The Dunlop has little grip in the wet, I can get the back to slide around corners Moto GP style, just annoying when it slips out on roundabouts. Makes riding more interesting but I dont want to end up putting the bike down the road.
1993 - ZXR400L2 - Matt Black - Gold Wheels - Scorpion System - Blueflame EVO Can - DynoJet Stage 1 - K&N Filtercharger - Skidmarx DB Screen.
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jamz »

lol so it's not just me then?

My 207's i had on years ago would either grip like on rails or let go like an elderly alcoholics bladder - there wasn't an inbetween!!

I was hoping they'd sorted that out on the 208's, but i guess i won't know until i push it past it's limits... :?

I don't like tyres that snap at you and aren't progressive... :(